. .
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    I would but I ran out of scrap bits of metal ;-)

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Been a bit busy with other things lately but had time to fit my Christmas present to my Chester champion v20 mill. My good wife bought me a dro kit, saves me counting the turns when drilling

Had a little play with it but still managed to drill some holes in the wrong position although they were correct to my drawing, I obviously didn't position them correctly in sketchup and I just blindly followed all the positions. It's not a biggy though as it won't be seen and I'll put it down to weight reduction . spot the deliberate mistake

Also I am thinking of buying these castors for my machine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331315782016

they are rated at 110kg each which should be more than capable of holding the weight of my machine which will come to about 200kg without any workpiece. They are total lock castors which means the wheels and swivels lock and they have rubber tyres.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses their machine on castors and if they have any problems like the machine skipping around?
    Cheers, Charlie

Last edited by CharlieRam; 18-01-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Loving the mill :D

perhaps once you have witnessed the machine dancing about without castors, you will be in a better position to decide whether you want them :?

Haha, yes I am expecting it to dance whether it's on castors or legs but I am thinking if I have it bolted or strapped to the floor it won't move. I am wondering if having it sat permanently on castors is a bad idea? I like the idea of being able to easily move the machine when needed and it also has the added benefit of raising the bed by about 130mm. It seems a bit low now I've built the frame.
    Cheers, Charlie

Can anyone tell me if its safe to take these carriage's off the rails to allow access to the bolts when I fix them to my machine, they all came on the rails and I don't want to take them off and find loads of ball bearings falling out?

No, it isn't safe. DAMHIKTIJKOK.

My carriages came with little plastic slides that fill the hole as you slide the carriage off the rail - not sure if you could use a flat piece of plastic about the right size?

No no, need to slide them off onto something the same size/shape as the rail, some expanded polystyrene works if your careful.

.Me
    .Me

Bugger, I was afraid of that, gonna have to try and find something the same shape then to slide them onto? Going to have to try and make a mock rail then, would wood be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    No, it isn't safe. DAMHIKTIJKOK.

My carriages came with little plastic slides that fill the hole as you slide the carriage off the rail - not sure if you could use a flat piece of plastic about the right size?
    Just had to google that to find out what you meant!!

Flat piece of plastic or wood about 3mm thick same width as slot ball fit into with tapered edges will work best. Foam and sponge can let the balls fall out if rails arnt perfectly lined up and push on them wrong.

To be honest thou If those are TBI bearings, which they look like then I think they are held in with plastic cage and don't fall out. The tricky part is putting them back on because you can easily damage the plaistc cage if not careful. . . . Better to be safe than sorry so make.!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information