. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Take a look below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	12878
    first draw a line longer than you need so you have overcut of the part, then draw a semi circle like the one in red in your software look for extrude, pick the line as your length of cut, then pick the semi C as your profile and merge them together, you need to orientate your part or the drawing to cross your part using the top face of the part as the XYZ =0 you end up with a semi circle cut into the part as shown.
    Hope it helps, if not give me the exact sizes of the part you want to cross and the size of the semi circle and I will do you a code to cut.

Phill

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    ah that's probably why. I don't have "extrude" in my CAD software. What software are you running for example ?
    looks like vectric
    Last edited by dudz; 24-07-2014 at 05:46 PM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Take a look at the 4th paragraph down Extrude.

http://www.cambam.info/doc/plus/cad/DrawSurface.htm

Phill

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    pick the line as your length of cut, then pick the semi C as your profile and merge them together
    http://www.cambam.info/doc/plus/cad/DrawSurface.htm

Phill
    Ok found the Extrude in Cambam. I managed to make a 3D circle , but I am now stuck on how the merge them together. and I cant get the circle/cylinder to follow the same axis as the line.

Sorry for my lack of understanding here !
    Last edited by dudz; 24-07-2014 at 09:04 PM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

disregard my first idea as this was done in Vetric, in Cambam first create the semi circle then extrude upwards to the over length you require then follow the instruction to rotate the part.

(To create extrusions along other axis, the shape must first be extruded in Z, then rotate the extruded surface object to the required orientation.
    The Extrude operation will first prompt for an Extrusion Height. This will be the Z height of the extruded surface. A positive height will extend toward the positive Z axis (ie toward the viewer when drawing is in the normal orientation with the XY plane parallel to the screen). A negative height will extend the surface along the negative Z axis (ie into the screen).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phill05 For This Useful Post:

Ok. This is going to raise answers that probably are obvious that it is not the correct method to do this, but still I want to try.

I want to cut 2 slots (2mm wide and 30mm deep from 2 sides / length around 35mm) though the 6082 T6 billet. Using a single or 2 flute 2mm endmill, I know the DOC is going to have to be tiny maybe 0.25mm ?. I am using flood coolant.

I think 10mm is probably the max flute length for any 2mm dia endmill. Maybe I can find one somewhere that will stretch to 15mm, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by dudz; 27-07-2014 at 06:33 PM.

What you need is called a rib cutter. The sides of the cut support the tool, only the very tip is fluted. It cuts the slot that puts a rib onto an injection moulded component.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    What you need is called a rib cutter. The sides of the cut support the tool, only the very tip is fluted. It cuts the slot that puts a rib onto an injection moulded component.
    Sounds interesting. I have searched but cannot find them available for purchase online in metric
    Last edited by dudz; 27-07-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    I wanted to mill a simple semi circle slot along the horizontal plain of the material. The circular slot is to be 120mm long / 11.113mm deep
    Dudz, did you get this sorted ? there's a thread here just like your issue; http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index....31125#msg31125
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information