. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ok. I can mill 2D objects no probs.

I wanted to mill a simple semi circle slot along the horizontal plain of the material. The circular slot is to be 120mm long / 11.113mm deep
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yoke1.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	12877

This picture is just an example I made so you can see what I am trying to do. I have milled the object all apart from the slot on the left.
    What is the simplest way to do this ?. I have today tried to create a 3D version in FreeCAD software, but when imported to Cambam, I have no Idea what to do with it. Especialy as I only want the slot. Maybe there is a way in Cambam, that lets me do this without getting into 3D ?
    Last edited by dudz; 23-07-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

2. whats the radius of the slot? or is it a true semicircle so diameter = 22.226mm (spurious level of accuracy aside), or 7/8". Maybe you can find a 7/8" ball nose cutter.
    Last edited by irving2008; 23-07-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spurious maths!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi irving,
    The Dia is 7/8" . I have 6mm ball nose cutters. I can't fathom out how to cut a semi circle slot. Cambam just creates a rectangular pocket. Obviously I am missing a vital bit of info. My DOC is only 1.5mm in aluminium

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    whats the radius of the slot? or is it a true semicircle so radius = 11.113mm (spurious level of accuracy aside), or 7/16". Maybe you can find a 7/16" ball nose cutter, like this one (scroll down 1/2 way)
    Last edited by dudz; 23-07-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

5. Edited my post, but not quickly enough.. got my radii and diameters confused (its the heat). Don't think cambam can do that. If you can find a 7/8 cutter and get it in your spindle the doc isn't an issue, just go round and round.

Quote Originally Posted by dudz View Post
    Hi irving,
    The full circle would be 7/8". I have 6mm ball nose cutters. I can't fathom out how to cut a semi circle slot. Cambam just creates a rectangular pocket. Obviously I am missing a vital bit of info. My DOC is only 1.5mm in aluminium

Hhhmm chinese spindle. I dont know if the speed will cope too low with such a large endmill . If Cambam wont do it, what software will ?

Or maybe something inside Mach3 ??
    Last edited by dudz; 23-07-2014 at 03:56 PM.

But you aren't trying to cut a semi-circular slot, you are trying to cut a semi-circular slot with something at the ends so the software knows what to do when it gets there. The tool needs to know where it can overhang.
    Given half a chance any self respecting software will not view this as a pocket sinking exercise. That way it can cut the outline when it reaches the end. Simples.
    The easiest way is to write a quick program that spits out a G code, that way you can be sure you get a finishing cut that increments to the face rather than the depth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

OK thx.

I just tryed the trial version of Meshcam. It was simple to do (on the pc)
    Pitty I cant get Cambam to do it though.

OK thx.

I just tryed the trial version of Meshcam. It was simple to do (on the pc)
    Pitty I cant get Cambam to do it though.
    Have you tried the CamBam forum? There are some very knowledgeable people on there.

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 59 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.

I wanted to mill a simple semi circle slot along the horizontal plain of the material. The circular slot is to be 120mm long / 11.113mm deep
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yoke1.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	12877

This picture is just an example I made so you can see what I am trying to do. I have milled the object all apart from the slot on the left.
    What is the simplest way to do this ?.
    I would draw the slot as a line longer than you need draw a semi-circle to the size you want and extrude the semi C along the line, create your tool path using a bull-nosed cutter, using center line of where you want to put slot across the part, use this as XYZ = 0 set your cutter & g-code to run from there, it should cut a semi-circle across the part.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    I would draw the slot as a line longer than you need draw a semi-circle to the size you want and extrude the semi C along the line

Phill
    This is the bit, Im not sure how to do ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information