. .
    ive been messing around trying to cnc this lathe, using these chai bk bearing blocks.
    I wish I could go back to the original screws but ive trashed one of the lead nuts,
    are they all like that? id like to remove the play in these bearings,i can grab the lathe slide moving it back and fourth and see play when pushing/pulling against the bearings.
    doing that square nut up as tight as it can go just resulted in me splitting and spreading the small steel sleeve at the rear see 2nd image.
    the play seems to be the centre of the bearings would a washer between the bearings sort this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backlash 027.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	781.0 KB 
ID:	12936
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backlash 025.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	12937

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I think you need to take the bearings out. Make sure they are the right way round ( either facing each other or back to back) and put a shim between the outer rings. I have used a bit of fuse wire one piece put around the face of the bearing then when you put the endplate back on it will tighten the races up when you put the lock nut back on. ..Clive

thanks clive
    I didn't realise there were differences from one side of the bearing to the other so will have a butchers tomorrow.
    as is theres about 0.4mm of play.ta

Have a look here, also the links in the post and other posts later on, you are not alone !
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6565-...6128#post56128
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    thanks clive
    I didn't realise there were differences from one side of the bearing to the other so will have a butchers tomorrow.
    as is theres about 0.4mm of play.ta
    These are AC bearings and need to be orientated the correct way round the idea to shim them apart is to be able to give a little pre-load. 15A fuse wire is about .6mm and acts like a shim.
    I can not take credit for this tip as I have learnt it from higher up the food chain!! ..Clive

Thread Information