Hello,

So I would like a CnC router, I would like rough cutting dimensions to be around 30x30x10cm, and I would like to mill PCBs using a 0.2mm bit diameter for TQFP components. Other than PCB it would mainly be wood and plastic, though if it could cut Al (even at very slow rates) that would be a nice to have bonus.
As in terms of budget I guess £4-500 is about right 700 ish max. The problem is I dont have any precision building/drilling tools which makes it kind of difficult, so im trying to build it to rely on the precision of the Al extrusion as much as possible...

So im thinking either I buy a kit - for example the Shapeoko 2 or I build from scratch from extruded aluminium, but not being much of a mechanical engineer or any experience in this field it would be a lot of guesswork - hence why i'm here.

I am leaning more towards the DIY route as I dont really like the timing-belt pulley system of the shapeoko 2 much and do like a challenge.

I have started to knock together a concept but obviously I haven't got far as I really dont know what im doing!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...zz/cncMill.png

If I could give an overview of a concept and if you could give me some advice that would be great!

Shopping list:

Spindle: Makita RT0700C
Machine base: 20x20mm Al extrusion (or should I use 30x30 or 40x40?)
Gantry: undecided
Y axis: SBR12 (or should I use 16?)
X axis: SK16 (or SK20?)
Z axis: SK16 (or SK20?)

Motors: Nema 23 (1*X, 2*Y, 1*Z)
Ball nuts and lead screws: Undecided.

So, do you think I should just keep it simple and buy a kit? Or seen any similar DIY plans that I could use / get advice from?

Cheers!
Dom