. .
    I've seen a few people (including me) come on here with questions about chinese 6040 routers. The answer is always the same: build something better. And the method is to start designing and start a build thread.

Now, I know the forum is very helpful once you make the effort and start your design. But there is an enormous amount of info to assimilate, as well as tools to learn, just to get started on this. And there is the certain knowledge that it will take a lot of time.

What would be great would be if there was a 'mycncuk6040beater' already designed. A list of parts, suggestions where they can be bought, drawings for specific parts that need making (and offers from members to make them).

Let me suggest a spec:
    Cutting size 620 x 400 x80mm
    Capable for wood, plastic, and aluminium at low speed.

So, as the title, how do I persuade someone or the group to do this?

Maybe someone here is interested in supplying all the various parts that need machining, and they will knock up a design.

Maybe this whole post is a waste of time, and there is a kit out there somewhere that meets my needs? I haven't had any luck yet.

What is the total real price that is expected to be paid for 6040 to your door? Including shipping, customs, etc.

I suppose I am expecting a parts cost of £1500 to £2000 ?

You can find many answers to your questions on the forum.

Here for example are the free plans in Sketchup from my build. 1000x400x200mm. All parts cost 2800-3000eur with shipping included. It is incomparable to the 6040 and will outperform anything commercial i have seen 3x the price.

Unfortunately i have no free time now to revise the plans and make some changes that will even further better and cheapen the design and avoid the laser cut plates. The side plates that support the gantry could be made from profile instead as i plan on my next one , see pictures

Price can be further lowered if cheaper Chinese square supported rails are used instead of Hiwin.

But if you expect plans with BOM, i havent seen any good ever... To my standard i mean. And if i have to sit down, make the plans detailed with BOM and explaining all step by step, i don't see how that could be free.

Look also at other builds. There are many good designs here. That really outperform most of the commercial stuff under 20K.

You can not avoid drawing in CNC, now or later you will have to learn. So just enjoy the steps drawing your machine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

It's true I need to learn to draw 3D. But designing and building a whole CNC is a lot to learn compared to drawing the simple bits I will be making with my CNC. I'm starting to get into it though, been reading some build threads.

I might just copy yours or someone else's that is similar or better than I need. I will read your thread now.

I would suggest that you read the thread I started "mycncuk router project. Good luck!!! G.

I see this isn't a new idea. I've added my comment on the other thread.

For my own immediate plastic and wood needs I will be buying a chinese 6040 today. Then I will use this forum to help me design a larger wood router.

Thread Information