. .

Thread: Router build

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    so onto my next build ....

my rails have arrived , yay so am just waiting for the motors and drivers
    still have to select a spindle, but im quite set on a chinese 3kw water cooled , i had a 1.5kw on my old machine and was quite impressed with it even though i blew the VFD up :S oops

cutting size is 2400x1200x200 so that a std sheet will fit in the machine ..

25mm rails on X Y and Z ..

Z will have a 20mm ballscrew X & Y will be on mod 1.5 rack and pinion

10:1 step down boxes on X and Y with a 26t pinion , Z will either be belt with 1:1 pulley, or direct drive with coupling

rapids will be around 15m/m , will probably speed this up in due time

the frame is quite conservative i think ... and now i dont know if i want to go bigger rectangle section or just stick with the 76mm square
    all steel build , gantry sides are 6mm steel plate laser cut , two 76mm box sections for the gantry
    Z plates are 10mm with another 10mm to space out for the bearing blocks
    epoxy self leveling construction method will be used
    where does it stop :D

i will mainly be cutting wood and plastics (corian - acrylic) so i dont need a terribly stiff machine ... for now ... my next build after this will be for aluminum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR1.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	13124  

I think you need to go with 12mm steel minimum for the Z and gantry sides.
    Take at look at silyavski's build http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6457-...0634#post60634
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

eish here we go ..... :D

i think while im at it im gonna go with 100mm box section on the gantry ...

100mm box section! That's massive overkill
    As you can see 90mm box is enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140818_163454.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	13132

@Web Goblin, that looks very nice indeed.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Very nice ... You got a build thread ?

ive been looking at different size rectangle section , but not convinced about stacking two sections on top of the gantry , ideas

obviously it would need to be capped , maybe even try out the damping idea :-P that paper where you stick four tubes inside covered in 3M™Viscoelastic Damping stuff then filled with epoxy ..... looks over at the dynamat shelf ... this is like rocket science

anyone tried to DIY it ?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	13142  
    Last edited by Blackrat; 19-08-2014 at 02:08 PM.

I've mentioned this before but got no response, I think ?
    What about using expanding foam for damping ? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe.../sd2857/p27912
    That should stop any vibration you would think and it's cheap, lightweight, easily applied.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 19-08-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Sorry I dont have a build log, didnt really plan on doing one for this build. Stacking two sections of box shouldnt be a problem. Stitch weld them along the seam where they join at both sides and away you go. You will need to get them machined though as they wont be anywhere near straight. If you look at the pic of my gantry you will see flat bar welded to the front of the box section. This was added to be machined to get the front faces parallel and straight for mounting the rail on to. If you also look closely at the bottom of the picture, you cant really see it very well because the box of washers and rag are in the way, but another plate has been welded to the bottom of the box section. This has also been machined at right angles to the front on the gantry. These will sit directly on to machined plates which hold the linear bearing blocks for the x axis and should allow for any small adjustments required to square up the gantry.

Eddy, I dont think that expanding foam would provide any vibration damping or very little because it doesnt have any mass to absorb it. It might provide some noise reduction though.
    Last edited by Web Goblin; 20-08-2014 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I've mentioned this before but got no response, I think ?
    What about using expanding foam for damping ? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe.../sd2857/p27912
    That should stop any vibration you would think and it's cheap, lightweight, easily applied.
    Doesn't Work very good Eddy it doesn't have enough density.!!

a 10mm inside boundry of epoxy with a filler adds about 10 kilos to each beam ... i think it will made a huge difference

im no engineer , and got no idea where to even start to try to calculate the difference in damping .. but it can only make it better

i thinks im gonna give it a try ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information