. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    will try switching the axis around to see what happens, could probably use my bob to test the machine if I had to, I know that works fine lol
    Would only do that as a last resort if it's not a spare BOB. Could be something else killing the BOB, if indeed it is the BOB, doubt somethings killing it it but could be.!
    Something I would try that wont hurt is your parallel port cable.! . . . In past I've had cables give silly troubles but often they just don't work or are irratic never worked then stopped so it's a clutching straws move. But still easy try so worth doing for elimination purposes.

Another thing worth trying that won't hurt and is a big elimination is trying your PC. This takes the PP and software out the equation which are both candidates for trouble.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-08-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Mine was doing that while messing about tuning the motors, I had the velocity and accel too high which was making them stall and trip out. The DRO was still going but the motors were not, to reset them involved power off/on cycle. They worked in jog due to lower settings.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-08-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Mine was doing that while messing about tuning the motors, I had the velocity and accel too high which was making them stall and trip out. The DRO was still going but the motors were not, to reset them involved power off/on cycle. They worked in jog due to lower settings.
    Don't think this will be the same Eddy. Yours was caused by the wrong tuning stalling motors which tripped the stall detect built into drives which then needed power on/off cycle to reset the drives.! . . . . No such nicetys here I feel.

But it could be tripped motors from being tuned to close to edge and when machine gets hot after 10mins things tighten up and cause binding so worth knocking tuning back to see. .

Being 2 motors at same time makes think not thou.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 24-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    It might be worth blowing cold air over the driver chips to see if they are over heating and tripping out. ..Clive

Are the drivers compatible with the motors ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Jazz, using my computer isn't really an option as it's built in to the machines old control box BUT I did use his computer to run my machine to eliminate the PP & the software, worked no problem at all. I also tried my serial cable on his machine to rule that out lol, Plus as the seller has now sent him 3 different bobs he has 3 cables of his own that we have tried as well.

Eddy, I've tuned the motors & backed them off far enough from their maximum that it shouldn't be a problem but the machine was doing it before I tuned the motors & the initial setting they give you to plug in to mach3 are so slow I can't see it being a factor. Compatibility I haven't got a clue about if I'm being honest but all 3 motors are the same & only 2 axis seem to have this problem. Jazz is right there are no safety cut outs with this stuff lol

Clive, it had crossed my mind that it might be down to heat in some way but wasn't sure what to do to try & eliminate anything like that, will try a couple of fans blowing on them.

Thanks for the help & suggestions people, gives me something else to try.

Thanks for all the suggestions on this one, lesson here to be learnt is never assume someone else has done things correctly lol

As I said in the first post someone else had started the job of replacing the electronics on this machine & then disappeared, spent a bit more time with the machine on Sunday & made some discoveries that I hadn't considered before because I assumed things had been done correctly.
    Motors seemed to be far to cold so had a look at the dip switch settings on the drivers & apparently they hadn't been set at all, amps were set at 0.6 lol
    Altered that & while waiting to see if the drivers warmed up at all I brought up the diagnostic page within mach3, the home switches were all flashing on & off randomly & if you pressed one it lit up but still flashed on & off a little. Killing power to the motors sorted the problem & further investigation revealed that the motors had been wired with trailer cable. 7 core cable with 4 cores being used for the motors & 2 cores for the home switches. Disconnecting the home switches seemed to stop it tripping the 2 drivers.
    So now there is 4 core cy cable on its way for the motors & I have shielded twister pair which I will use to re-run the homing switches.
    Hopefully once that is done it will run without any problems lol.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well spotted, and a good lesson for all regarding essential screening of motor cables and keeping them away from signal lines. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by martin54 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions on this one, lesson here to be learnt is never assume someone else has done things correctly lol
    Yes Assumption is the mother of all F'#K up's and me inparticular should now better I've been caught wit it so many times.!! . . But we/I are all guilty in this case as well because I just took it as a given or assumed you'd have checked the drives were setup properly from start.!! . . . . Shame on US for not thinking to ask, Shame on you for being a WALLY and not checking first. . . Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information