Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Hi Guys

    As I will be cutting out shapes in 4mm MDF, which to prevent them snagging the cutter or being damaged I am machining in "Nibs" at half depth and 2mm long.
    When the shapes are pressed out of the main board there are obviously small sections that need finishing.
    Currently my thoughts are a bobbin sander.

    Has anyone any suggestions or recommendations for a reasonably priced and quiet(ish) one?

    Looking at the Triton ones on eBay at the mo
    Last edited by Nthkentman; 22-08-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem !

  2. If the parts have concave edges then a bobbin sander will be fine but if they are straight or convex you might be better with a small combined disk and belt sander. I'm thinking the bobbin could easily create indentations in the edges even if you went careful.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  3. #3
    I see where you're coming from Eddy, the edges will vary, depends on what I am producing, words, letters, shapes, all with differing edge profiles.
    I was aiming to reduce the need to sand, turn over, sand again situation, but perhaps a small belt and disc sander may be a way forward


    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    If the parts have concave edges then a bobbin sander will be fine but if they are straight or convex you might be better with a small combined disk and belt sander. I'm thinking the bobbin could easily create indentations in the edges even if you went careful.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem !

  4. Sounds like you need both
    The biggest problem I have with bobbin sanders is bobbins, the price I mean, it can get expensive. So I use these in a drill press; http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...-sanding-drums
    It means you can use strips of regular abrasive from a roll, much cheaper.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 22-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  5. #5
    I think that you can afford to leave your tab much thinner, If I use tabs I only leave about 0.5-0.75 mm thick material to cut away,
    this is easily done with a scalpel. Not much "cleaning up" at all. Do not try to brake the piece out as this makes more work. G.

    Of course this applies to small pieces in thin material (4mm mdf 2mm cutter). G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 22-08-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling and omission

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Sounds like you need both
    The biggest problem I have with bobbin sanders is bobbins, the price I mean, it can get expensive. So I use these in a drill press; http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...-sanding-drums
    It means you can use strips of regular abrasive from a roll, much cheaper.

    OOOOH !

    Now *that's* an idea I like....Having only a few days ago purchased said small pillar drill !
    Nowt fancy, but a useful, (Even more now) tool.

    Thanks Eddy
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem !

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I think that you can afford to leave your tab much thinner, If I use tabs I only leave about 0.5-0.75 mm thick material to cut away,
    this is easily done with a scalpel. Not much "cleaning up" at all. Do not try to brake the piece out as this makes more work. G.

    Of course this applies to small pieces in thin material (4mm mdf 2mm cutter). G.
    Hmmmm,

    I'll have to experiment. I see your point about depth though.

    Safety wise.... I'm unsure about having SWMBO using a scalpel... Might give her ideas !
    Last edited by Nthkentman; 23-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem !

  8. #8
    If your just cutting out largish shapes on regular basis and know roughly where they will be on table then think about Vacuum pods.? Pods not bed.
    With vacuum pods you can positon them so they hold the material such that the vacuum seal is never broken so needs little vacuum (Henry will easily hold) and they hold the part clear of the bed so you can profile all the way around at full depth.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    . . . think about Vacuum pods.? Pods not bed.
    But they seem reluctant to show a price, unless I've not found the right place yet.


    Make your own !

    http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/produc...make_kit_.html
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-08-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    But they seem reluctant to show a price, unless I've not found the right place yet.


    Make your own !

    http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/produc...make_kit_.html
    What I never mentioned any company.? . . . . . I meant to make them not buy them.!

    HDPE or any plastic is perfect, chopping boards from 1 shop are great. Just route groves for neoprene gasket and hole for vacuum and away you go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Hacking" and "Modding"
    By magicniner in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM
  2. CNC machine "Spanish" model . Advice and opinions needed!
    By shapebusters in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 06:21 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-09-2012, 12:06 PM
  4. "Racks" VS "ball screw"
    By C.AlveSilva in forum Linear & Rotary Motion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-04-2012, 11:53 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-12-2010, 06:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •