. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On my version its on the right hand side under Toolpath operations (setup material and rapid gaps) set your Z to the top and Gap above model to zero. ..Clive

Ok, Material setup screen on RHS reads as follows....
    Material Z Zero, red spot top left corner. Thickness 13mm.
    XY Datum centre spot selected. No Use offset" ticked.
    Rapid gaps above material
    Z1 45mm (Need to clear a clamp) Clearance
    Z2 4.8mm (Plunge)

The preview shows the cut ass I would expect.... about 4mm into the work surface

I'm thnking I've set something wrong here...
    Will post the actual file from the machine tomorrow into this thread somewhere... I'll open it in Notepad and see if I can see what's gorn awry too
    Last edited by Nthkentman; 29-08-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem !

Ok you have a different version to me. you could post the .crv3d file if yours is the same then I could check it. But the gcode should also do. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Nthkentman View Post
    What did I do wrong? I'm missing something here and feel a little dumb.... Newbie cock up I know... Loooong time since I did this and it's a fun learning curve again
    Don't feel dumb we have all been here in some form or another.! . . My first attempt with G-code ended thumping a perfect square hole thru 40mm of MDF after sending Z axis wrong way. . .Lol

I don't use V carve but If it's not that you have set the Zero point at bottom of material and you can't find any obvious reason then it could be the Control as a TOOL offset set.
    Just like WORK OFFSETs you can have TOOL OFFSET's so your control could have TOOL OFFSET's entered into it.?
    So when your G-code calls for first tool it applies the OFFSET set in the control. This could give the trouble your seeing.

If you open the G-code file you look for G43 H# with the number being the tool number probably 1 in this case. It will be some where near the top and probably will be near the tool number IE:
    T1
    G43 H1

If so then chances are you have TOOL OFFSET applied. Just remove the G43 H1 or put G49 straight after it.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-08-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Check this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspire.PNG 
Views:	162 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	13233

The post processor is this inch or mm with or without the ATC/adds tool change command/ and the out put is txt in both cases, not .nc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post.PNG 
Views:	159 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	13234
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 29-08-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Hi Clive,
    I am actually using version 6 V Carve.
    But playing with the Version 7 trial too. I may well just bite the bullet and buy V7 as it's far more explanatory and easier to use.

I'll pop down the lock-up tomorrow and dump the files onto a stick and then have a gander. Will post whatever I find and hope it's me being a plonker and not a duff machine reading the code wrong.
    Emach machine...looks like a Chinese version, using a Chinese PP program and spindle head.

We will see.... I've only got a few weeks to get this sorted as my new unit will be ready end Oct, and I *really* need to get cracking on some stock to sell

Thanks Jazz, I actually believe it's me getting it wrong tho... I only have the facility for XY offset in V Carve,
    I wonder if plain G Code in txt will work, even though the PP program suggests .nc extension... Not sure why there is a difference....
    Looks like I'll be installing Mach3 and getting someone clever in to convert the machine board otherwise

Hi Silyavski,

My PP file extension needs to be .nc according to the instructions. Not sure if it will accept metric .txt, but I may try.
    I'm setting the machine toolpath in "Profile Toolpath"...Do you think I should be using the "Pocket toolpath" instead ? The setings in your picture are the same as the ones I my program too,
    My intention is to cut 4mm MDF/Ply on a sacrificial backing board to allow the cutouts to be used/pushed out then finished after for sale... Items like hearts, stars, letters and numbers etc

Sorry , i though you use mach3. Though you can just rename the file.

There are places that profile is used, there are places where pocket is better, to avoid triangualr and similar small left overs. Though it could take a bit longer.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 29-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks Jazz, I actually believe it's me getting it wrong tho... I only have the facility for XY offset in V Carve,
    It will allow tool offset's I'm sure of it. Not much good if it doesn't as many machines need tool offsets to work correctly, esp with toolchangers.

I wonder if plain G Code in txt will work, even though the PP program suggests .nc extension... Not sure why there is a difference....
    Looks like I'll be installing Mach3 and getting someone clever in to convert the machine board otherwise
    The file .nc extension will open in notepad. When you click it to open and get the message saying choose software to open with then use notepad and save as default for this file type.

If you create file in note pad then just replace .txt with .nc and it will work. Both are just plain txt files the .nc extension is nothing special it's just the DSP will be looking for .Nc extension. Chances are it will use .txt as well and just defaults to .nc.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-08-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information