. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    is there any one that may be interested in doing this for me before i go and find some company to do it? Its literally the last part to get my machine up and running!

best regards

Charlie
    Need to know if the gear can be bored, do the file check and if it's possible and you supply a piece or two of silver steel(extra for F**K up) for the shaft, and 4 pieces of smaller dia silver steel that will fit into the space between the gear teeth i will give it a try. Can't promise it will be a success but will give it my best shot before you have to spend silly money on the professionals.
    Mike.
    Get the file out

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The chances of the gear being hardened are somewhere between slim and nil.

If all you have is a three jaw, then make a soft collet.
    Easiest way is get a bit aluminium wide enough to cover the gear width, and about a couple mm larger diameter than the gear. Clamp it fairly lightish, then bore it out so the gear will slide in, then tighten the chuck and the aluminium will deform onto the gear.
    Alternatively, get a thicker and bigger diameter bit, bore it out deep enough for the gear but leave it a couple mm undersize, remove and cut three slots in, place suitable bits of material to hold the slots open, reclamp, bore to size so the gear slides in, unclamp slightly, remove spacer bits, and clamp onto the gear. Think http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...C-Step-Collets but held by jaws and not a collet holder.

The bolt may be hardened, but probably not hard enough that a decent carbide insert won't handle it. If it is hardened, it's not likely to be through hardened, so once you're throught the skin it shouldn't be a problem. However picking up the thread accurately to extend it using a single pointed tool will be a bigger problem, so it would be easier to do with a die.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Would it not be easier to just make a new bolt to fit the bore size of the new gear, it would obviously have a smaller thread but I would of thought it would still be strong enough and a lot easier than boring out the gear

Hi Charlie
    Can i assume the purpose of the exercise is to install the larger dia gear into your belt drive pulley ?. If this is the case you are still going to need the drive key.
    As m-c has mentioned the chances are you should be able to machine the gears OK with a machined sleeve, an option you could try is to use the original keyed pinion and remove the geared portion, bore the new gear to suit but leave a slight clearance between OD & ID and silver solder the new gear onto the original sleeve, so no need to machine the pin. If you fancy this option, to bore the new gear make the sleeve with a spigot ( ie like a top hat) this will be pressed hard up to the chuck jaws, size the OD of the sleeve 4mm greater than the gear OD, machine the bore of the sleeve but leave a step in the back of the bore to locate the gear on do not remove the sleeve from the chuck or you will loose concentricity.push the gear into the sleeve using tailstock and then tighten the chuck to deform the sleeve and grip the gear.
    Hope that's of some help.
    Mike

Hi,
    I too am the owner of an old Lathe (WW2) similar to a Bantam and as my knowledge and experience grew over the years I had to come to the conclusion I would never get Precision work from it. The cross slide nuts are worn, I don't think the tail-stock has ever truly lined up with the chuck.. Most Lathes have a hollow shaft with a Morse taper (or other) behind the Chuck. This should be more accurate than the chuck if you could get to it and may be able to rig something up if you have access to bits and bobs..
    Probably the easiest option is to draw up in 2d on a piece of paper exactly what you want, look under 'Precision Engineers' in Yellow pages and find a smaller firm and just go down there with the Gear and Drawing and do 'puppy dog eyes at them..'
    (If you phone them they will put you off.) Say you are a 'CNC Hobbyist' and this may well endear you to them.
    This only has a 30% chance of working as they may not have any machines free, but what may take you hours will take them minutes and once you have posed the problem, his engineering brain has already started working on 'How'..
    Alternatively, spend 2 grand on a better lathe..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information