. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys,

I need to veneer some flat birch plywood panels with various species of veneer. I tried with PVA and then putting in the vac bag but it didn't glue very strongly at all. I left it in there for about 24 hours then took it out to cure for another 12 hours. It peeled off easily.

Can anyone recommend a glue that will work in the vac press? Hopefully one that is not super expensive. I've looked at Cascamite, Aerolite 306 and Extraphen.

Cascamite is strong and affordable but it is a powder mixed with water so I think it still relies on evaporation to set. Aerolite is also mixed with water to apply but has a separate hardener that is put on the other surface so I think it might set quickly even in a vacuum then I can take it out to cure once fixed. Extraphen looks super strong and is a 100% chemical reaction adhesive but damn it's pricey!

There's only one glue I use now and that's Titebond Original

There's a tip about vacuum press use about halfway down this page.
    http://www.titebond.com/application_tips.aspx

Also this but I've not tried any of it.
    http://www.airpress.co.uk/99-adhesiv...nd-laminating/
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 02-09-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Hi Tenson
    I have used some glue i purchased from a guy on ebay and it has been fine for a few jobs i have done, one was a internal window sill, 3mm Iroko veneer onto a laminated softwood base this is holding up fine and Iroko is very oilly so I was quit impressedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	13263
    Will check my records for the trader if your interested

Morning Tenson, this is the stuff.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/502-ALL-PU...item2a3808335b
    Just out of interest did you have a breather mesh over the veneer ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	13265

Hi,

I just had a piece of MDF on top of the veneer to help press it down and absorb some moisture but obviously it didn't do a lot.

What is a breather mesh? You mean like some kitchen towel or more like a wire mesh?

Isn't that glue just PVA?

If you'd just followed my link to the airpress website there's everything you need to know
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    If you'd just followed my link to the airpress website there's everything you need to know
    I did follow your links. The first one says put some wood in with it to absorb moisture. The second link has a PVA glue and a urea-formaldehyde glue. Both are water based so still need some evaporation to set.

The glue Mekanik linked to is a PVA like the 'EasyBond D3' in the Airpress website. I don't see how this is going to be any different than the PVA I already tried (Polyten).

I've ordered some powdered urea-formaldehyde glue. I think this breather mesh sounds like a good idea to provide a bit more air for the glue to set. I also wonder if some of those silica-gel packs would help.

Yes, but not only that it tells you all about how to do the job with a breather mat etc.

Hi Tenson
    If you look @ my setup you will see that the veneers are covered in a blue material, this is a plastic mesh that i use for doing vacuum infusion jobs, if you go to any online dealer that sells infusion resin you will find some there, the white tubing is spiral wrap. cheapest place to get this is Maplin(or it was when i bought mine) it's used for holding loose wires to tidy them up.
    If you notice you will see the glue extruded through the joints between the veneers. This was a trial run to see if i could make a half decent job of it as i intend to do all my sills the same (the windows are Iroko also)
    Hope that helps and good luck with your next shot.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information