. .

Thread: New Member

Hi,

Just thought I'd say hi and tell you a little about my experience (read lack of)

I've 90% built a reprap from scratch including buying and soldering (with a hot air solderer) the RAMPS board.
    It's at the stage where all that's left to do is add the extruder and hot plate.

However, I got bored with that after watching all John Grimsmos Knifemaking Tuesdays vids on you tube where he uses a CNC machine to make custom knives. The thing I'm fascinated with is the capabilities of his CNC machine. From blades to spacers and thubstuds.

I'm now thinking about altering my 3d printer to a small CNC machine (something very basic, probably trying to carve some soft wood or somthing)

So, there you go, hello!

Cheers

2. Welcome. My 2p worth: finish the reprap and use it as intended, it's too flimsy to be a Cnc cutting machine. Then use the skills you have to design and build a good cnc machine. Otherwise you will be sorely disappointed with it and have nothing to show for all that effort.

Welcome and plus 1 for what Irving said finish it and learn from it. Then when you build cnc machine it will come in handy for some things like covers or brackets etc.

CNC mill / router will need to be a good order of magnitude stronger than RepRap so think STRONG when designing and work with steel or aluminium not wood.!

Which side of leeds are you.?

Unless you want to make fairly large items you might want to consider converting a small milling machine to cnc
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thread Information