. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone, first post be gentle...

I bought a 3040Z machine and am building it up, it's for hobby use and cutting parts for my model helicopters.

I'm good with electronics and mechanical builds but while trying to establish if I can replace the Z axis carrier/spindle bracket (which will then allow me to attach different spindle brackets) I messed up with the ballscrew and it came apart. So I now have two challenges and would very much appreciate your advice.

1. As you can see from the photo the spindle carrier and bracket has been manufactured from a single block. I would like to replace this with a carrier to allow me to fix a new bracket onto it. What options do I have?

2. Do I now need to replace the ballscrew

Thanks in advance.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG 
Views:	426 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	17295

Hi,

I have one of those too. Apart from the electronics needing seeing to( drivers, cables, switches, safety circuits, motion controller) it is a cute little engraver.

When a ballscrew gets taken apart and all the balls fall out, as long as you have all the balls, not everything is lost.

I cover the inside tracks in clear grease or vaseline and just stick the balls in one by one. this is not recommended on every ballscrew mind you, only on cheapo ones. There is a youtube video demonstrating this I think.

Otherwise new ballscrew and nut I am afraid

The spindle mount is an extrusion that you can remove and replace with a carrier plate and bearings housings.
    The bushings pushed into the extrusion can be removed without losing the ball bearings.

I was going to extend the Z to convert the machine into a 3D printer...time...
    Last edited by komatias; 21-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Thanks for the reply :-)

I'm not entirely sure I have all the bearings. I see that the nuts can be purchased separately is that an option?

Are there any places in the Coventry area where I could go (parts in hand) to sort this out?

Thanks again!

You cant really just select a nut as in many cases they are manufacturer specific and may cause issues. Not sure about coventry but I there are a number of places around that can custom machine you one if need be.

Now here is another option: can you measure the diameter of the balls that fell out. I may be able to get some for you.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Now here is another option: can you measure the diameter of the balls that fell out. I may be able to get some for you.
    Many thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it but would will do some more reading first.

Cheers

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post

The spindle mount is an extrusion that you can remove and replace with a carrier plate and bearings housings.
    The bushings pushed into the extrusion can be removed without losing the ball bearings.
    Hello,

I am on the verge of buying one of these machines too, but as far as I can tell the motor doesn't look too great (looking at machines with 230W motors). I almost purchased the machine when I realized that the spindle mount looks integral to the Z axis. I am a complete mechanical engineering noob. Would you mind breifly expanding on how you would go about buying/creating a mount for a bigger motor (65mm or 80mm)?

Also, I don't suppose that you/anyone here knows whether the extra weight of a bigger spindle (2KG extra for 0.8KW, 4.5KG for 1.5KW and 7KG for a 2.2KW), would be too much of a problem? I'm very new to all of this.
    Sorry if I've hijacked the thread (seems to be along the lines of what the op was asking though).

Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by carebare47 View Post
    Hello,

I am on the verge of buying one of these machines too, but as far as I can tell the motor doesn't look too great (looking at machines with 230W motors). I almost purchased the machine when I realized that the spindle mount looks integral to the Z axis. I am a complete mechanical engineering noob. Would you mind breifly expanding on how you would go about buying/creating a mount for a bigger motor (65mm or 80mm)?

Also, I don't suppose that you/anyone here knows whether the extra weight of a bigger spindle (2KG extra for 0.8KW, 4.5KG for 1.5KW and 7KG for a 2.2KW), would be too much of a problem? I'm very new to all of this.
    Sorry if I've hijacked the thread (seems to be along the lines of what the op was asking though).

Thanks,
    Tom
    I'll send you a picture of the supplied clamp that I'm having machined. I think the original is 52mm. I too am a noob at this but if there is a lesson for me to take away from this it's this issue with the clamp and the carrier.

I personally got a bare bones type of thing and upgraded various bits like the spindle, motor etc etc. My spindle is 400W, I wanted a 1.5KW version but the cost of that and the power supply and the hassle of changing out the mount I just compromised.

Cheers

A picture of the mount would be greatly appreciated, thanks! I've been researching this for about a month, the spindle mount seems like the last hurdle before purchase, but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to fix.
    You say you're going to compromise on the motor, does that mean stick with the 400w or only upgrade to something like 800w?
    I can't figure out the message system on this site, if you are able to then send me a message, I'll send you my email and you can send me the mount picture if that's still okay with you. Or just post the mount picture on the forum if you're okay with that. Either way would be a massive help :)

Many thanks,
    Tom

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Welcome to the forum. If you click on your name next to the flag a text box will appear for the private message.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by carebare47 View Post
    A picture of the mount would be greatly appreciated, thanks! I've been researching this for about a month, the spindle mount seems like the last hurdle before purchase, but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to fix.
    You say you're going to compromise on the motor, does that mean stick with the 400w or only upgrade to something like 800w?
    I can't figure out the message system on this site, if you are able to then send me a message, I'll send you my email and you can send me the mount picture if that's still okay with you. Or just post the mount picture on the forum if you're okay with that. Either way would be a massive help :)

Many thanks,
    Tom
    TBH modifying the carrier so it's possible to mount alternative spindles has been quite a problem and am in the process of having it done by a machine shop.

The compromise I'm making is that I am settling for a 400W brushless motor (I don't like brushes LOL). I would have liked a more powerful alternative but the cost for that and a suitable controller means I'll have to wait a while. But when the bracketry has been modified it will be an easy upgrade..

I will send a picture as soon as I get it back from the machine shop.

Cheers
    Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information