. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by amxen View Post
    Thanks for that information Jazz . When i do upgrade the electronics what BoB would you go for ?
    Well at the cheap end then I'd look at Roy's boards at DIYCNC they are ok for the money and I've used many of the opto boards. At the other end then and by far the best BOB on market for the money is the PMDX126 but this can only be bought direct from PMDX. It cost's much more but there's a reason, It's quality.

If you want good quality ALL-in ONE board with Digital drives and spindle speed and BOB all built in then you want the Lead shine MX3660 from Zapp http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...ng-driver.html

Though it's an all in one board the drives can be replaced individual if one is damaged.
    The drives allow upto 6A motors run at 60Vdc thou in real use you'd run around 50-55Vdc for a safety margin. The drives are Digital so very good at handling resonance and give very smooth movement compared to cheap analog drives with advanced features to help with handling pulse smoothing etc. They have standard current reduction at stand still etc to control motor heating but in general they run the motors much cooler because of the way the handle current.

No BOB required it's built in. Also Comes with 10V Analog spindle speed controller built in so can control spindle from control software or G-code.

This Digital Combo board knocks the socks off Gecko G-540 IMO and yes I have used G540 infact I have one in front of me now, because it can be used with much wider range of motors due to being 6A and the extra volts allow more speed !! If needed.!! . . . but the only draw back is it's only 3 axis not 4 like the gecko.

This is a good Combo board that will take with you to another larger build if required and there's virtually nothing to setting it up, close to plug n play as it gets.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 10-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that Jazz . it seem to be running well now. with the changes i made yesterday. happy days for now.

Well im thinking i will have to upgrade it at some point going by most of the posts about them.

So i have been looking at this http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/system45.html and was thinking i have this kit i got from aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6104230003.html ( was gonna make my own cnc ) and was thinking would this diycnc board be ok to run these stepper motors and utilize the 36a power supply from this kit.

Thanks for that Jazz . it seem to be running well now. with the changes i made yesterday. happy days for now.

Well im thinking i will have to upgrade it at some point going by most of the posts about them.

So i have been looking at this http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/system45.html and was thinking i have this kit i got from aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6104230003.html ( was gonna make my own cnc ) and was thinking would this diycnc board be ok to run these stepper motors and utilize the 36a power supply from this kit.
    Mike The kit you are referring to will still only take 40V psu so yes it will take the 36V psu you have but you are still throwing good money after bad. To run the motors you have you will need at least 50V psu. If you are up and running now how about getting some experience with the machine and cutting a few parts and then you have a better idea what you really want.
    I am not trying to put you off, the trouble is these kits that you have seen are always a compromise and are put together with a mismatch of bits and you can do a lot better with sourcing the parts separately. As have been said many time on the forum a good place to buy the motors is cnc4you or Zapp and the drivers from aliexpress. ..Clive

Im trying to understand whats wrong with the stepper motors Clive. Is it that they are trash or that they need more power to run them than i have or need. Are they for a bigger set up. Or just junk

Thanks mick

Ok well I'd forget Roy's System 45 as it's no better than that kit from Ali express.

First the Aliexpress Kit is a USBCNC Motion control card with BOB combined. This means you'll have to use the USBCNC control software not Mach3. This is not a problem just making you aware.
    The fact it's Motion control card will take away most of your Pulse issues in one go.

Regards the Motors then those listed are 4 wire but it doesn't say if they are series wound or parallel, I'd guess at series given the amps and inductance. The more common 8 wire Hybrid motors can be wired either way but with 4 wire your stuck to what the manufacturer winds them.
    Being series wound means they require much more volts to get any resonable speed from them. Motors wired in series give higher torque at slower speeds but quickly run out as the RPM's rise. This is why the 36Vdc isn't really man enough for these motors to expect any speed from them.

The Kit drives can take upto 50Vdc but again in practise you need a safety margin. The reason you need a safety margin is that steppers effectively become dynamos when de-accelerating and this energy gets passed back to the drives and is known as back EMF. So if you run at the drives Max voltage you will damage them.
    For this reason running lower voltage is recommended. How much lower does depend slightly on the power supply type. Regulated Linear type supplies need to be run at lower volts than toroidal type supplies due to how they handle returning current. It's for this reason why Unregulated supplies are prefered and in particular toroidal transformer type due to the capacitors better handling returning power. Toroid supplies can be run closer to drives limit.

The drives in this kit are 50Vdc max so I'd run them around 42-44Vdc with an Unregulated supply. This will give the motors that bit more voltage required to cover the higher inductance. Still not ideal but better. 70vdc would be much more suitable but your drives wouldn't be too impressed. . Lol

Now personally I'd just think about changing the PSU for toridial supply which are very easy to build or can be bought and run the drives at 44Vdc. This will get you going at Ok speeds and will be good for learning without costing a fortune.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 10-09-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Im trying to understand whats wrong with the stepper motors Clive. Is it that they are trash or that they need more power to run them than i have or need. Are they for a bigger set up. Or just junk

Thanks mick
    Mike No they are not trash, just not suited to the power supply and drives these motors have inductance of about 7mH, per phase now the ones that I use and a lot of others are these:-http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/60BYGH301B.PDF which have an inductance of 3.2mH (less than half) I run these at 68V. As Jazz has said that kit has its own software and not Mach3.
    If it is your intention to build another machine in the future it might be worth it to sell your kit and start again. But first have a go at machining and having fun making a few parts with the 6040.
    If you really want to change the drives in the 6040 for the one's in the kit then either get a new power supply linear type or build one (if you are confident with mains voltage).
    Either way we can try and help you through this learning curve. ..Clive

Hi Clive. We'll I have reconstituted someold pc power ssupply's that I use to run my 12v battery charger this give me around 20a. Good for a cheep bench 12v supply. They have the added advantage of having 5v and 3v if I need them. But that's as much as I have done. I know my way around a multimeter thow as I'm a heating breakdown engineer. I will have a look on YouTube and see if I can find a video on building a linear supply that will give me what I need. Thanks for all the input.

Hi Clive. We'll I have reconstituted someold pc power ssupply's that I use to run my 12v battery charger this give me around 20a. Good for a cheep bench 12v supply. They have the added advantage of having 5v and 3v if I need them. But that's as much as I have done. I know my way around a multimeter thow as I'm a heating breakdown engineer. I will have a look on YouTube and see if I can find a video on building a linear supply that will give me what I need. Thanks for all the input.
    You just need a few parts:
    You can get them from http://www.rapidonline.com/ say 2 of these http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...tor-11-3121and one of these http://www.rapidonline.com/kbpc5006-...00v-47-1012and a transformer like this http://www.rapidonline.com/vigortron...-0-50v-88-3844 but to suite your voltage. Remember to multiply the output of the transformer by about 1.4 to get to the DC voltage you require. ..CliveAttachment 13363

I'd like to know this, with the settings now at their optimum does the machine perform adequately. ? i.e. within it's designed capability.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Eddy. I'm not sure if If it's running at its designed optimum as I have not had time to test it. I ran some code to cut a sign from 6mm mdf last night. Like the photo of the one I have posted here before. It seemed to not miss any steps it cut very clean and quite fast. The sign was about 10inch long and 5inch tall. It had no problems and took about 20 mins, but I only have the plunge set at 1mm so it took 7 trips to complete the final cut out. but that was planed and expected. If you let to know who I should test its performance I will gladly carry that out for you.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information