. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sorry, i have problem editing posts,

These bearings doesn't have to be conical roller bearings instead of angular contact ones?

They seem to be exactly the same bearings used on the water spindles.

And fix those rails to the table and the linear blocks to the saddle. No point in adding overhangs if you don't have to.

Here is the Chinese solution, machine only, cast iron , without motors , smaller envelope, seems its quite worth to DIY it, price wise .

This below also should be taken in consideration when designing the head. In fact you will need the motor, the spindle and the air cylinder in your hands, before you continue further with your build after a certain point.

2Ton( 2000kg) air cylinder 13mm cnc piston cylinder for BT30 ATC Spindle of CNC milling booster cyliner FL003D

Sorry for hijacking the thread , but its very interesting to me .

I gave it a lot of thought and believe i have the answer, at least for myself on my next build. My usual is "achieve maximum result with minimum materials" and easy to do it at home.

So here is what i have come with:

1. on the left is what i would do, on the right is the easier way, concerning soldering and so. Note that on the left side each cross is done separately and rotated 90 degree to the previous. The profile is 100x100x4, i don't believe bigger is needed.

2. The results in weight

3. So the final result , now taken in account the cut loss when cutting the 6m beam. Additional benefit is that can be used plates 100x10, for ease of soldering. So final size 300x300mm. Weight can slide at the back or additional extension of the plates could be made, without compromising the basic structure.

As you can see we are talking about 150kg total weight, easy to do and something like many many more times than the initial design. Also all the mixture of small stresses of soldering + the cellular structure will kill all vibrations at the same time the hollow place behind the rails will absorb the vibrations into the beam.

And as for the braces near the bottom, understand that if done correctly a structure needs only small braces to protect the soldering and the forces to go there smoothly. With the above design you will need only triangles with sides 100 and 100mm. if the base is done correctly i mean.

I don't know what you think, but i don't see how can be done better with less weight and easier. I am happy with the exercise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milling machine 3.jpg 
Views:	1456 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	13478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milling machine 2.jpg 
Views:	1447 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	13477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milling machine.jpg 
Views:	1513 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	13476  

how are you going to weld the inner section "the +" to the outer square section ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
    how are you going to weld the inner section "the +" to the outer square section ?

very simple:

-if using big plates, first weld the core, then the 2 opposite plates, then drill every ...mm the plates and weld through the hole filling the hole with the mig. I have done it already on several occasions and works.

-but what actually i would do is use 100x10 plates, as together with the 100x100x4 profile they are available anywhere in the world and easy to cut with small band saws or dry circular saws. Which saves money. Say here in Spain steel is 0.95eur/kg if you buy from provider by the 6m, what i do. You go and buy it cut to size and they charge you 2eur/kg and some times even extra for the time they cut. Thats why i bought the circular saw, cause obviously on my build right now/ 500kg/ it saved me at least 500euro.

First weld the core, then form angle plates, then weld them to the core, then weld the final plates. Yeah, it would require some patience, careful welding and so, but a successfull build definitely requires these qualities.

depends from the method obviously the dimensions will vary a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milling machine welding 3.jpg 
Views:	1485 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	13481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milling machine welding.jpg 
Views:	1431 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	13482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milling machine welding 2.jpg 
Views:	1425 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	13483  

Great contribution silyavski.

This is the spindle i'll be using: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-...004506503.html

This is the spindle tool release mechanism i'll be using:

This is the motor i'll be using: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spind...849189611.html

The motor has limited information on it, so i contacted the seller directly and got the following graph for it:

Not purchasing the items from the sellers listed (except for the motor).

Prices: Spindle is 755USD, tool release mechanism is 200USD
    2.2Kw motor and driver is 1210USD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 2kw.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	1463 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	13486  

About the motor.
    I don't know how realistic that could be. The data i mean and if it could serve well. Somebody has already tried it? For that purpose? Do your research there. Dont believe what chinese sellers say, cause mostly they don't know a sh*t about what they sell.

I would believe a similar Panasonic one/ what seemed the right one to me, look at the description/ would be jump in the known, not the unknown. Or just search more to find something more suitable for what you want, brand name.

Ask the seller of the spindle if he knows of a suitable motor. Ask linearmotionbearing , bstautomation and any other seller who seems credible and then decide.

The seller is an OEM manufacturer for machines in China. They manufacture the motor. The same motor is used in many chinese VMC's.

It is not a normal servo anyway. it's an asynchronous servo with forced air cooling. All the real machines have these.
    This type motor was recommended by the spindle supplier i might add.

The Panasonic servo you've linked is an axis servo. Not designed to power a spindle.

Also, linear & BST automation don't supply these motors. Their existence is not well known among hobbyists, and they're expensive to boot.
    Last edited by embraced; 28-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.

This is the motor manufacturer's website.

http://www.sotengcnc.com/cncsystemsltd-product.html

I have contacted them on many occasions and they certainly do know what they're talking about. They were even able to tell me which EMC standards their drivers passed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information