. .
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Zip the file up, or add .Zip as an extension...

Hello Neil

Thanks for the PM although thought it might be easiest to try what irving2008, Many thanks for that irving2008 much appreciated.

HGTM_CNC_V2.zip

I'm sorry if the dawing isn't upto much I'm going through a learning curve on sketch up too this is the first time I've used that I try to keep the layers seperate but I forget to change to the correct layer sometimes.

Many thanks for the help

Thanks

Rob

Hmmm....I've only got version 8 and can't open it.....flipping typical!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hey Neil No Worries, I've just saved it as a version 8 & 6 Just in case and that will hopefully work.

HGTM_CNC.zip

Thanks

Rob

I was too slow, beaten to it haha
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-10-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

thanks very much for doing it all the same.

Quick tip....when creating a part, say a 50 x 50 leg, once you've created it select it all and right click and create a group. It's much easier to move it, rotate it etc. without messing about with the other parts it's placed next to. Might be teaching Granny to suck eggs but I've just tried moving some bits and it's creating some interesting shapes....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Just a thought.
    If you made the Z backplate wider, keeping the Y bearing blocks where they are due to short rails etc. you could then move the Z bearing blocks wider and fit a wider Z front plate.
    This might give you the opportunity to mount the spindle in 3 positions, left, right, centre, not ideal but maybe useful ?
    Or maybe you could then mount another device beside the spindle such as a laser head, 3D printer head ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Hey Neil,

I'm sorry about that your certainly not teaching granny, I gone more on the lines well that seemed to make the shape I want at the time. I will certainly group then from now on the makes a lot of sense I tried to do it with layers instead of the grouping and then selecting the layer to move things around. Although I certainly got further on sketch-up than on Autocad 3d up to now that's next weeks job then (Well Maybe)

Thanks Eddy that sounds like it would be worth a look at I also though about a plasma cutter for the future for stainless although thats as far as I've gone with it. I appologize not having used one of these things would I be able to set a home and then use different paths for the further cuts ? I'm certainly not worried about having to swap the spindle around between then that would get the hoped for cutting area when I forgot about the bearing blocks when I felt like a shopping trip before I knew anything at all.

thanks

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by grain_r View Post
    I appologize not having used one of these things would I be able to set a home and then use different paths for the further cuts ?
    Rob, I think this is what you mean.
    Home switches use the 'machine coordinates' whereas the work piece you are cutting uses 'machine coordinates', so a search for those terms should bring up some further reading.
    Like a piece of graph paper the home switches will be at 'machine coordinate' X0,Y0 and if you clamped a piece of wood on the table for example and moved your spindle to the bottom left corner, that could be your X0,Y0 'work coordinate' and that's what you typically set to zero in Mach3 for example so that X0,Y0 in your g-code starts cutting in the right place.
    So really you can give the machine an X0,Y0 work ccordinate starting point just about anywhere on the cutting table.
    Think of the machine as big piece of graph paper that is in a fixed position (machine coordinates) and the work piece as a smaller piece of graph paper that can be moved about on top of it (work coordinates).
    So on a 900 x 600 machine, if you put a workpiece with it's bottom left corner in the middle of the bed, that corner might have 'machine coordinate' X450, Y300 and 'work coordinates' X0,Y0

There's also offsets/fixture coordinates that could be usefully employed; http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCGCod...orkOffsets.htm
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information