. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Just going out now but will reply better later, however for the wheels design have a look at this video, at about 4:20 min. into the video it shows how to move it, I have one of those machines and the idea works great. It's two fixed wheels at the back and adjustable height feet at all other points.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ry1DxNFA0
    Thanks Eddy. It looks like a simple solution, but I would not want the machine sitting in wheels all the time for rigidity. I need a simple mechanism to raise and lower the legs or remove them. How do you remove the two rear wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    Thanks Eddy. It looks like a simple solution, but I would not want the machine sitting in wheels all the time for rigidity. I need a simple mechanism to raise and lower the legs or remove them. How do you remove the two rear wheels?
    The wheels are solid nylon, they sit on a solid shaft across the back of the machine, there is no movement of any kind when it's sitting down. There are several feet at the front and side and the wheels are positioned such that the machine is level when it is sitting down on the feet, in this position the solid wheels also act as feet because they do not swivel or move sideways, it's rock solid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feet1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	13599 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feet2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	13600 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feet3.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	13601
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 13-10-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Hi,
    I see that you gave a lot of thought on the design. Where are the pictures from post #16, i dont see them?

-3mm is ok for threading, of course the thicker the better :-) , but rails can be bolted on 3mm profile.

-i see some I beams on your last table picture, under the top. I beam is way weaker than square or rectangular profile, though looking at it seems stronger. I don't see where and how in a CNC structure we can benefit from using I beam. It twists like crazy, its relatively heavy for what it offers and so on... I would revise that part. use the calculator and see for your self.

Thanks Eddy for going to the trouble to take photos. Now makes sense. I have already got some steel castor wheels (won't burn with plasma). Will look at Felder? design and also exploring a less complicated solution (than my original) I found on another welding forum where castor wheels were simply slightly raised above ground and then lowered via adjusting the legs, albeit this approach may be more tedious to get it mobile. Will dwell on both solutions!

Hi Silyavski. Pictures on #16 appear on my computer but not my iPad. I wander if size limitations causing a problem. Have attempted to post again in different formats. I wold really appreciate input from you/others on these designs before I commit to anything.

-i see some I beams on your last table picture, under the top. I beam is way weaker than square or rectangular profile, though looking at it seems stronger. I don't see where and how in a CNC structure we can benefit from using I beam. It twists like crazy, its relatively heavy for what it offers and so on... I would revise that part. use the calculator and see for your self.
    I agree with your comments and was also surprised by the superiority of RHS. The workbench does not have to take any twisting or other loads and all I simply want is a strong base which can take significant vertical weight, hammering, etc. Its not a CNC design, just a workbench. I also like the idea of being able to clamp along the side (under the benchtop, facilitated by the I beam shape). Besides I've bught the steel, so will run with this. I agree not suitable for CNC compared to square beams.

Here is another attempt at the pictures. In uploading these, I advise that I have undertaken considerable re-design of a few items (after many days thought) and looking up physical sizes of required components. A summary of changes is given.

1. Gantry

I now have two designs:

A. A design similar to yours (Silyavski) which utilises welded RHS and SHS (per pictures previously posted but not seen),

this utlises 125 x 100 x 4mm RHS (top and bottom) and SHS 100 x 4mm (8mm at ends where I intended to bolt bearing supports but now moving towards bolting supports to Red Plates).

Note Y Axis will now be moved to back of Gantry (see below).

and

B. A single bespoke RHS shape, made out of 5mm plate (using 8mm for sides) which utilises key slots and tabs (some refer to this as 'toy slots' resembling construction of early steel toys. Beam is reinforced by two internal welded plates in the structure.

This later design appeals to me as the components fit together for greater accuracy and welds are more focussed. A draftsman friend of mine told me about the significant inaccuracies (twists, etc) inherent in extruded beams (apparently manufacture starts from a round shape which is then forced into a rectangular or square shape?). He works for a large American firm and they apparently fabricate most heavy industrial components (for heavy waste removal trucks etc) out of plate using this method.

I would have to get components for this design laser cut (he says this is relatively inexpensive - he works for a corporate who pays the bills - will see whats this means to a private budget!). Meanwhile I perfected my technique of drawing Toy Slots.

About to investigate the cost, but waiting feedback from my friend and others before doing so.

1.1 Gantry Drive (Y Axis)

Well the added weight has forced me to consider NEMA 34 motors. After looking at the increased footprint, I decided that I should mount the motor on the back of the Gantry like some other designs. This would marginally improve COG as well, but not a big issue.

2. X Axis

Larger motors and a more careful look caused me to make some minor modifications to brackets. Silyavski, I compared what you built on your first build, and I have headed towards a similar design.

I also moved the motors to the back of the machine, away from the operator and closer to the control box.

3. Z Axis

More or less the same, but I have also included 'toy slots' to facilitate easier fabrication/more accurate assembly.

This design is all steel and requires laser cutting/ machining. The front plate carrying the Rails has 2 of 20mm x 20mm support beams to provide rigidity with the balance of the face plate 10mm. The side plates are constructed of 20mm plate. All 'Toy slotted' and welded. Top plate 10mm thick.

Using the Siffness calculator I believe this will give me a reasonable stiff structure with deflection below 20um in various directions cutting aluminum. I think! It certainly has added to the weight of a purchased actuator which is now a scrapped notion due to their weak structures.

Happy to listen to any views how to do this differently.

Perspective View of Machine

Hopefully these pics are now viewable (I know I got close to the limit last time I posted them and perhaps why they did not appear?). Please let me know if problem persists!

If anyone can consider these with questions posed in my post of #16, I would be very grateful.

One additional question is to do with attachment of support bearings. As mentioned above, I am leaning towards bolting the supports to the plates at the end of the shafts, rather than to the side of the frame/gantry. My rationale is I can control spacing easier (or perhaps not), and that plates offer a flatter, 8mm surface to bolt to. What is the preference/others' experience?

Pictures look good I'm told. Proof of competency will be the building of it!

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry CloseUp - Old Design.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	13603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry CloseUp - Plate Laser Cut Design.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	13604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X Axis Motor CloseUp.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	13605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z Axis CloseUp.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	13606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perspective View - CNC Machine.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	13607  

I don't know what you have planned for limit switches and home switches but you might want to think about them now in case you want to incorporate them into your brackets etc. There's also the strikers for the switches and means of fine adjustment.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 14-10-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information