. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Just a quick update, I've tried both the resistor and the diode, both get rather hot, although the diode seems to handle it better. Done some checks with a TC and the resistor sits at around 80degC whereas the diode goes up to around 60deg. The ideal solution would be to change the PSU to a 48VDC, but with the current solution costing less than a pound I don't think I'll bother:)

T.

2. Did you mount diode on a bit of board as I suggested? It's running a little hotter than I calculated. Junction temperature will be around 120 degC, still less than the maximum allowed of 150 degC, but 20 degC more than I'd like.
    Last edited by irving2008; 13-10-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Hi you say your wanting to connect a LED to a 68VDC PSU. you can use a LED with a resistor in series If your machine is on permanently, I would suggest to drop the current to 15mA, LEDs work at 20mA but run constant shortens their life expectancy. If your LED is a 24 volt version check the spec on it the resistor already in situ may already drop the current to the LED to 12~15mA, just remember the power supply you are connecting to will either be PWM or linear my guess PWM either way the voltage (68VDC) will be constant

Lives in Lincoln, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17-06-2020 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 252. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    This was only a quick test with a choc block, I'll need to cut up a piece of laminate and give it another go.

T.

Hi, you should not need a diode your power supply will be polarized +ve & -ve your problem is you are trying to drop 44 volts which creates a lot of heat, if your voltage was a bit lower you could have used a LM317 or similar the best you could input to these would be 32vdc its a weird voltage drop to are trying to use my suggestion is to try to get hold of a NUD4011 http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NUD4011-D.PDF
    this should handle your voltage drop

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Hi, you should not need a diode your power supply will be polarized +ve & -ve your problem is you are trying to drop 44 volts which creates a lot of heat, if your voltage was a bit lower you could have used a LM317 or similar the best you could input to these would be 32vdc its a weird voltage drop to are trying to use my suggestion is to try to get hold of a NUD4011 http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NUD4011-D.PDF
    this should handle your voltage drop
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you read this complete thread because I think you have missed the point and purpose about the diode also all the math has been done. I am not trying to put you down in any way but this guy has stated he wants a simple way and he is short of space ..Clive

Thank you for the welcome. I understand he has a problem with space but if you are using a 5Watt resistor you need a lot of space the chip i suggested can be mounted on a 15mm x 8mm pcb depends how you proceed, that would include a smd resistor also i use its brother the nud4001 so i know how small it is, the chip is a current limiting chip that is why it can be used with such high voltages up to 200Volts input as for the price i pay around 30p for the nud4001 the price for the nud4011 is a little higher..its only a suggestion he does not have to use it but many brains make light work lol i'm not sure it may even fit on the pads of a piece of vero board,
    One other point " a LED is a Diode" a zener can be used to "clamp" the voltage" you just need to current limit it, I also have another chip in mind and the size of that is only 3mm looks like a smd diode 2 pins thank you clive

I've made a small PCB 62mm x 40mm, it's got a larger section of copper on the banded area, roughly 38mm x 40mm. Just ran some tests and it levels at around 56degC, so better than before, but not massively.

I do like the NUD chip, the issue is it's SMD (can't solder those) and for 68VDC and a single LED it's over it's power limit anyway. I guess I might have to get that 48W PSU anyway...

Cheers,
    T.

BTW. I'm not limited for space, I've got loads:)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    I've made a small PCB 62mm x 40mm, it's got a larger section of copper on the banded area, roughly 38mm x 40mm. Just ran some tests and it levels at around 56degC, so better than before, but not massively.

I do like the NUD chip, the issue is it's SMD (can't solder those) and for 68VDC and a single LED it's over it's power limit anyway. I guess I might have to get that 48W PSU anyway...

Cheers,
    T.

BTW. I'm not limited for space, I've got loads:)
    This is what you quoted [Those 7seg displays are pretty neat considering the voltage range on them. I'll have to stick with a small LED indicator as I'm tight on space as it is.] This is why I mentioned that ..Clive

Should've been more clear, I've got no space on the front panel, but loads in the guts, which basically means I need to stick with a single panel mounted LED and whatever internals it needs.

T.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information