Hi All,
I have a typical Chinese R1325 router which after a great deal of work to complete the wiring of the control panel, and truing/squaring up the axes is now working. The control system is Nc Studio driving Nema 34 stepper motors. I mainly use it for cutting profiles in 18mm melamine faced chipboard for kitchen units. I use a 12.7mm dia PCD cutter and cut the full depth in one pass. For the most part this is producing acceptable results. However if I try anything more ambitious where multiple tool paths are required I get lost steps all over the place. I don't think it's due to any tightness in the machine as it occurs anywhere in the tool path. It's quite obvious when it happens as the motors can be heard to "knock" quite loudly. This can even be heard when the machine is sent "back to zero". My question is this, would fitting a hybrid closed loop step servo drive system in place of the existing drives and motors solve the problem? I've seen a few around and like the look of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Hybrid...item417b121221

What does the collected wisdom think? am I barking up the wrong tree? should I maybe be thinking of changing the control system to Mach 3 instead or as well?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer, this is driving me quite mad.
Bob.