. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Explain the reasoning behind 4 jaw chuck, the part don't need to be spot on true because it's turned to size. No point having the extra jaw for clamping force because the lathe is that small for this job your not going to get all that many off in 1 go.

Parting here is going to be the major problem 20mm not so bad but 60mm you'd struggle to get 3.

OP if your going to be doing a few you'd be best of getting at least the longer ones done else where or use another machine that's more capable.

Thanks for the posts, Yes I think the lathe is undersized for the job but I have seen some myford enthusiasts doing some impressively large pieces on their machines, Im thinking about flywheels.

Here is my thread regarding the mold, im about to upload some pics from the manual and I could do with some opinions on how best to machine the 'Gate Entry'

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7929-...n-molder/page2
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

I run a small lathe Elliot Emcomat 7 and have allways found i can get the job better secured with the 4 jaw, parting even if it isn't deep will give you a better reference for sawing the blanks of(unless your sawing is better than mine)
    Discusion i8s finished as far as i am concerned, and out of interest i used to work as a centre lathe turner.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    I run a small lathe Elliot Emcomat 7 and have allways found i can get the job better secured with the 4 jaw, parting even if it isn't deep will give you a better reference for sawing the blanks of(unless your sawing is better than mine)
    Discusion i8s finished as far as i am concerned, and out of interest i used to work as a centre lathe turner.
    You gave your advise based on your experience, i have mine based on mine. Asked what was the point in putting a 4 jaw on, i value time and could see no benefits of fitting a 4 jaw then swopping out to 3.
    End of

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information