I have a plywood product im thinking about producing on my router. It incorperates a bungee cord that acts as a preload spring.

I need to join 3mm elastic shock cord into a loop to make the part. Would rather not simply tie them together as its hard to get the lengths consistant and it looks a little messy.

These crimps look quite good, I contacted the seller in regards to which type of crimping pliers would work for this, but they are taking their time to reply. I can't find anything similer in the UK. What would you guys do to join bungee cord in neat loop?

Here is the link to the crimps

CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

Best would be if you join then via small hot melt casting. The way a USB or 3mm jack cable ends. You can use good high temp heat glue gun/190-220C/, make small 2 piece aluminum mold and inject the hot melt - Polyamide Sticks - TEC Bond 7718 , thats what i use.

Dont forget to leave small air escape hole/0.5mm or similar/ and use 2 pins to center the mold. Or maybe not, the air will escape through the bungee cord

I have done that and works, i have cast things as big as wheel over 2 skate bearings using 80W gun. You will find a good ~200w gun extremely easy to work with

There are other sizes, you have to calculate if its worth but 12mm works ok for small details. Otherwise i would jump to bulk melt gun

Guns 12mm :

Glue 12mm:

or sth like these:

Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 14-10-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Hours Ago Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 592. Received thanks 79 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Those crimps look like a cheap, neat, way to do it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do the job with a big pair of pliers, or for a posher job drill a hole in a bit of steel, slit it down the middle, and clamp in vice as an improvised press. Look for a "proper" tool if the prototypes work out well!
    Last edited by Neale; 14-10-2014 at 05:14 PM.