. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You can also use the open source free software Inkscape to trace an image and output to dxf.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Agree with Geoffrey if you can half the finished horse then with a digitising probe you could create a point cloud and mesh together for the finished horse why bother with templates at all.? Then just let the CNC machine do the work.

Even if half is too much Z height for probing or cutting you could slice into managable sizes and probe the edges then piece together very easy.

Can you show a picture of the Templates your talking about.!

Ive used an xbox 360 kinect camera to scan 3d objects with good results then used slicer ( i think its called to slice it into pieces to carve

Hadn't thought of that I guess I'd better checking out the options
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

To keep Z to something sensible I was thinking maybe a fat central spine that would look like a side view of a horse, then add the cnc'd side blocks to it. That way you could do the neck and head in a similar way.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

You can use Draftsight CAD program (free) to import a jpg as a reference and then on a different layer trace the part. No need to export as a dxf as it's already one so just save...
    Neil...

Build log...here

7. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Cheers Guys for loads of ideas on solving my problem. Jazz there's a pic on my Build log of the templates and finished Horse ...
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information