. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    many thanks for that the dust mite was what i was looking at using, how did it perform with foam? i was worried very light foam may stay airborne and just run all the way to the vacuum? do you think the cyclone drops the power of the vacuum? is your henry have the high and low settings?

best regards charlie
    Charlie, It performed well with the foam, I didn't find any traces in Henry anyway. My first machine was used 90% for cutting foam sheets (EPP and Styrene) over a 5 year period, I know how messy it can be! I would think it would work well for your purpose provided you can keep the vacuum inlet fairly close to your foam.

The cyclone has no noticeable difference on the power of the vacuum. I've got one of the newer Henry's with the Hi-Low setting switch and rarely switch it to full power. I imagine on your machine you're going to have quite a distance of plumbing between the inlet/dustshoe and the cyclone. I'm not sure if this distance has an effect on the suction. I do know that smooth walled pipe will give you better flow than ribbed hoses.

You may want to consider earthing the plumbing too. Mine creates quite a bit of static and makes my hair stand on end if I lean over the bed on my machine lol.

Dean, I wasn't sure whether Clive was setting me or you up, or whether he was having a 'senior moment' :p It's probably just payback as you were a day late getting to his place cos of me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
    Dean, I wasn't sure whether Clive was setting me or you up, or whether he was having a 'senior moment' :p It's probably just payback as you were a day late getting to his place cos of me lol.
    Nah's he's a Star Man is our Clive and sharp as razor blade even thou he's older than Yoda. It's those Sangria's bringing out is wicked sense of humour. . .Lol

Quote Originally Posted by firetrappe View Post
    Charlie, It performed well with the foam, I didn't find any traces in Henry anyway. My first machine was used 90% for cutting foam sheets (EPP and Styrene) over a 5 year period, I know how messy it can be! I would think it would work well for your purpose provided you can keep the vacuum inlet fairly close to your foam.

The cyclone has no noticeable difference on the power of the vacuum. I've got one of the newer Henry's with the Hi-Low setting switch and rarely switch it to full power. I imagine on your machine you're going to have quite a distance of plumbing between the inlet/dustshoe and the cyclone. I'm not sure if this distance has an effect on the suction. I do know that smooth walled pipe will give you better flow than ribbed hoses.

You may want to consider earthing the plumbing too. Mine creates quite a bit of static and makes my hair stand on end if I lean over the bed on my machine lol.

Cheers many thanks that's a great help I have run a tube siystem when I shaped by hand so the distance seams fine I will probably get a cyclone and put it on a large blue chemical barel as they are vey strong however I do also have a idea to have a smaller barel with a trap door underneath that allows emptying into a large sack nice and easy.

I cant have the vacuum to close as the bits are quite long and they have to cut quite deep. I'm wondering if I can make something that makes a bit of a cyclone erect comeing out of the dust shoe to help get the foam up from further away perhaps.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 20 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Charlie I know nothing about vacuum systems but this is a good read. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/ also there is a spread sheet here staticcalc.xls ..Clive

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Hi Charlie

There is an 'improved' version of the ebay cyclone (a bit more expensive) at
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omni-Dust-...item2a4622d1fe

video at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmN...ature=youtu.be
    Looks pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing the first boards coming off your machine.
    Greeny

Cheers yea that what I had my eye on

After a bit of experimenting I have ended up going with a high velocity low pressure bag style vacuum unit I got used of eBay nice and cheap and local. I thought this was the best solution because the foam dust is so light and the hvlp units are nice and quiet. The only thing now is trying to decide how to run the vacuum hose and in what size. The unit will be at one end of the 6meter table so can't decide if to run a solid pipe to the centre and then come down some how with something flexible or to have flexible the hole way on some sort of curtain rail type thing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	14026  

You want 4" pipe minimum I would think, 6" even. I would use solid pipe as much as possible, people use the 4" soil pipes. Flexible pipe has ridges where the metal spiral is and this restricts flow.
    If you use plastic pipes you need to wrap some earth wire around them to drain static away, some people have experienced explosions.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 09-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information