. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi All.

Its been a while since positng on here, but I have been very much active in the background . Ive even met up with some of you. :D

So, although im a member of many forums (I have too many hobbies) I find myself warmest to this one, and its for this reason I have decided to post my workshop build thread here, I know its a bit off topic, but atleast this forum has a category for workshop's. Even though there is a distinct LACK of posts in here!! Gav's thread re container drew my attention to its existence.. so here goes.

It all started, when living at my previous house, in the middle of suburbia with a garden not big enough to swing a cat. My wife wondered why I spent literally all my spare time at my parents. She later realized I was like a fish out of water with nowhere to get oily. Work commitments required a change in location, and top of the priorities for search criteria, was an external garage and rear access.

So, in 2006 I bought this. my very own

Oh, and a house!. but lets face it.. its all about the garage!!

So, I have rear access. And its also all over the deeds to the house. But the access is shared with a farmer, and the council rentable garage side that resides behind my house.

Within a year of moving in, id adapted it to make it wider and deeper

here are a few more (these are probably over the years after the first build, so garage looking older) Although pictures generally not of the garage itself you can see it in the background.. along with the old council garages

lol. mini upside down!

and slowly building tools, and other interests other than cars. I started renting garages as they became available... and knocking through

until I had a little empire!.

So to be clear, my garage is the one at the bottom of my garden. All the rest are council garages, and owned by the council.

But all that is good comes to an end. We are no longer in the 70's, Times have changed, the garage site behind me over the 30 years its been there has fallen into disrepair, and the council no longer have enough demand for rentable garages, and as such they decided to sell the site... to "a developer" :-(

and work began!!

The only thing worse, than the fact, my lovely perfect house backing onto open fields, and basically my own private empire of garages is being turned into a housing estate, is the fact they are "apartments". (they mean flats). 2 blocks of 4 one bedroom, and two dorma bungalows (you can see bungalows in picture)

So... now is the time, for me to make my workshop bigger. But Im not made of money, so il have to do it as cheap as I can for now.

Its presently 6m, by about 3m and 2m high. I intend to make it 6.5m, 5.5m x 2.5m high (limited on height due to building restrictions, being so close to my perimeter)

So, dwarf wall (as garden ground is higher) concrete panels on top, then a proper wooden insulated flat roof with torch on felt.

1.) hand mix 8 tonnes of ballast and many many bags of cement, then build dwarf retaining wall out of dense blocks

2) temporary garage (to store contents of workshop)
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 17-10-2014 at 01:32 PM.

3.)disassemble

4.) leave garage door in place (all the way through, rebuild concrete panels ontop of wall)

5.) build dwarf wall at back

spend a forture on 6x2 beams, and install roof with garden side overhang.

the additional panels, were stolen from the garage site, prior to the garages beind demolished. so excuse graffiti!!

Last edited by kingcreaky; 17-10-2014 at 01:11 PM.

So, as all of the above was pretty much done last weekend, my priority was to finish the backside (builders side) and the garage door side, thus to avoid any potential complaints.

front side semit temporary, as changing the garage door for a roller shutter.

so, need to finish the garden side (install gutter)

and the backside (facing neighbour)

out of necessity, this week I have installed lighting

you may notice the wooden rings...

they are actually christmas tree base's I have an order for. 1000 of the f*ckers so doing that aswell

If I anybody interested, il photograph more and add to this thread as I complete the build. Seems big now. but il soon fill it.
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 17-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Shame about the new development.
    I like how you kept the door in place like a Hollywood wild west town film set.
    The dog seems to approve new shed.
    Are you sure you will still have access to the up and over door in future ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Are you sure you will still have access to the up and over door in future ?
    Like I say, the deeds to the house show right of way of a vehicle to garage. I had a solicitor check

then, all through the appeals, and planning process for the development, there has been acknowlegement of shared access with my address. So as its been acknowledged, Im hoping so

But If im honest, I dont know whats round the corner. Im just hoping I get nice neighbours, and this big cloud that has been looming over me since the council decided to sell, shifts and everybody lives happy ever after.

It is critical however, I keep the big door closed, otherwise it will be like an advert for prying eyes
    and, that I insulate it. Otherwise they will soon moan when my machines crank up at 10pm at night!!

:d

That will be a very nice large workshop when insulated and finished. Your wifes main problem will probably be in trying to get you out of it!! I have an insulated sectional panel up and over door which is absolutely brilliant, although it does restrict headroom in the doorway area. These doors are very strong (40mm foam sandwiched by ally sheets) and seal very well. I am sure it will all work out well for you. Good luck.G.

Lol, loving it king keep the pics coming! You also have a PM :).

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I have an insulated sectional panel up and over door which is absolutely brilliant, although it does restrict headroom in the doorway area. These doors are very strong (40mm foam sandwiched by ally sheets) and seal very well. I am sure it will all work out well for you. Good luck.G.
    Good point, I don't know how you would insulate a roller door you mentioned.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

busy weekend.

one wall, studden, insulated and lined with 12mm osb,

Back wall, bodged up with some ply. Ran out of insulation, but i intend to insulate, then put another skin of ply on the inside

the shelf at the back is just temporary. The back wall is where my upright 8x4 cnc machine will live (once its built!!) ;)

but atleast the garage is weather tight now, cant wait for it to rain!!

you will have also noticed Ive started moving some of the heavier stuff down from the temporary garage. It would be nice to please the misses by getting that down before next weekend so I made the most of the abundance of muscle that seemed to be hanging round this weekend.

made a start on the workbench. My old workbench was too high, This, I think was the reason it was never used!! I found myself always using make-shift work-tables... so height this time is critical. Ive gone for 88cm, which allows me to stow both tool drawers underneath it, only problem is. I had hoped to store my donkey saw underneath aswell, but its too high. So il have to lower it slightly, shame really as its been through two world wars! but it will also give me the opportunity to put it on wheels.

Also bought gutter for the front (£50!!!!! by the time I bought all the elbows and fittings!! almost fell over!!) Il fit that next weekend ;)

Need to allow my bank account time to settle down, before I line the other two walls

looking good king.... keep going and the pics coming and your have it done in know time :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information