. .
    I follow a number of machinists on YouTube and recently one of them purchased a Velleman K8200 3D Printer, these look like great entry level machines, they come as a kit so you also get the fun of "building" your own.

Part 1: Unboxing

Part 2: Assembly

Part 3: Printing and Calibration

What is around the right price for designing and building your own now days?

I thought it was a really good price, £499 off the shelf at Maplin or a quick look on eBay is showing this one: Assembled Velleman K8200 3D Printer at £320 but they are also taking offers, surely it's just a bit of linear rail and some 40x40 ali profile when all said and done?

.Me
    .Me

I probably spent around £250 for components for my Prusa about 2.5 years ago. That's buying a kit of printed parts, stainless studding, nuts and bolts, and enough material to build several hot ends from scratch. I also bought the control board as a kit. I wouldn't build a Prusa again as there are much better designs around, but my guess is that my mk2 when I build it will cost around the same. I wouldn't use profile rail as the designs based on a gantry cut from sheet look much better to me but they need the ability to profile, say, alloy sheet.

Thread Information