. .

Thread: rack and pinion

Hi guys, I've purchased 2 x cncrouterparts pro drives with the plan to swap to pinions in the pulleys to mod1, now this is proving to be a right pain to get them swapped... does anyone know where I can get the imperial rack from in the uk? It's 20 degree with 20mm pitch

i did the exact same thing only a few weeks ago with a great result! finding imperial rack is imposable without getting it made for you and that was going to cost a packet.

All you have to do is separate the steel pinion from the large pulley, i tried everything from freezing to trying to remove the barring with no luck so ended up using a very sharp but old chisel and taped it in between the two to get enough of a gap to separate them which worked very easily after days of trying other ways!

I then noticed that the hole was the exact size of the boss of a mod1 pinion so i got a couple of sizes from cnc4u and tock them to a machine shop and hand him bore out the centre to match and then i milled the small key way into it myself. I think i ened up using the 25 tooth pinion as i wanted the smallest posable.

the second issue though is now you will need a shorter axel and they are hardened so you can machine it so what we ended up doing was making a small s/s steel spacer to go on the axel to push the pulley and pinion back out so a very simple fix using a pice of 1/2" tube and that was it job done and works a treat and all working on my machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	392 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	13660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	13661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1-2.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	591.7 KB 
ID:	13662  

3. The Following User Says Thank You to charlieuk For This Useful Post:

HPC Gears supply racks in metric and Imperial - http://www.hpcgears.com/n/products/11.racks/racks.php
    They supply anti-backlash spur gears too!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Thanks Charlie, i will look into doing that, however im using the 35 tooth pulley. could you explain exactly how you got it out as i dont quite understand about the taped?

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Thanks Charlie, i will look into doing that, however im using the 35 tooth pulley. could you explain exactly how you got it out as i dont quite understand about the taped?
    sorry probably my spelling the larger pinion shouldn't be a problem. I tock a hammer and chisel and carefully put it at the back of the teeth of the pinion and gave it a light tap with the hammer and moved my way around the pinion a bit at a time, the teethe have a slight chamfer on the back so it actually makes it come out very easy.

Oh mine are completely flush with the pulley. I will give it a "bash" pun intended haha cheers

im only talking .5 of a mm chaffer but its enough to help get a sharp chisel in to start it of, once i had a small gap i could get in with a puller (in my case a few larger levers) to ease it up evenly. If you have a lathe all all the bits its probably a hours work thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    im only talking .5 of a mm chaffer but its enough to help get a sharp chisel in to start it of, once i had a small gap i could get in with a puller (in my case a few larger levers) to ease it up evenly. If you have a lathe all all the bits its probably a hours work thats all.
    This shows the spacer on the shaft behind the pulley and also the bracket I made to take the hole thing crude but functional
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	13663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	13664  

Your a gent! I shall let you know when I cock it up and will be at your door with a new set for you to do for me haha

Nice piece of kit ain't they.

as i say i got some one else to do the hard bit of boring out the new pinion, i have a lathe but not the correct tooling so thought just take it a get it done as i was loosing patience with myself and it. I was concerned about hanging a big nema34 off it but they are supper solid its just a shame they dont do them in a metric option. If i do a 8x4 build myself i would get two more defiantly.

Thread Information