. .
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks EddyCurrent, ill have a good luck. The only reason for the drives is i know they are rated and they are available for a great price on ali express.

Yes Neale, it could well be if George had his way. He has built loads of steam trucks, trains and a steam boat. He is such a cleaver guy and does all his designs in solidworks these days.

Those parts are looking great. Well, yes, if the friend who's helping you has build those fancy steam engine things then I'm sure making the cnc machine parts are going to be like Gordon Ramsay whipping up a few snacks for a kids party :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I was disappointed to see the discussion about steppers - from the earlier pictures, I had hoped that this would be the first steam-powered CNC machine!
    Plus one. G.

Thanks for the replies guys.

EddyCurrent, ive ordered the drives and the motors have arrived. Only thing is now i need to find the belts and pulleys. Ive read GT5 i the right type to get but all the belts ive seen only have fiberglass banding and not steal. Does anyone know where to get these from? Ive tried www.beltingonline.com and a few others.

HTD 5 15mm width are the ones you want and the belts dont need to be steel banded they will be fine fibregalss. Just buy a decent quality branded belt like Dunlop or Gates etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Hi loving the build, quick question which software are you using to design the machine? thanks!

Hiya,

Im using solidworks, its the first time ive used it and is quite intuitive in most part.

Ive straightened the two ball screws on my X axis today and stripped and rebuilt the two ball nuts, since doing it they are so much smother now.

Trev

Hi guys, ive got a fair bit done and am currently looking at the electronics side now. I was looking at using linux cnc, but as i dont have any pc kit to hand that has a true parrallel port im thinking this is not ideal. So im looking at Mach3 or Mach4 and am thinking about using CSMIO/IP-M. Does this look the right way to go?

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Gotty101 View Post
    Hi guys, ive got a fair bit done and am currently looking at the electronics side now. I was looking at using linux cnc, but as i dont have any pc kit to hand that has a true parrallel port im thinking this is not ideal. So im looking at Mach3 or Mach4 and am thinking about using CSMIO/IP-M. Does this look the right way to go?

Trev
    I think youi should forget Mach4 for now, Mach3 is the one you want.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Hi guys sorry for the lack of updates. So we have done a fair bit now, lower frame is next. Ive started to build up the control box. Still thinking if CSMIO/IP-M is the way to go as it seem well thought through. I need to get a cabinet for the electrics, ive got the drives the transformer and safety relay so far.

Any here are some pics of what we have done.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information