. .
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    They look close but there is about 1 to 2 cm between the heat sync and the next unit. There are two 80mm 24v fans at the top of the case and 3 60mm inlet holes at the bottom. If there is a problem ill mill and install a fan onto the drives heat sync.

Trev

Hi guys, ive still working on the build and doing all the wiring when i can, but i could do with some setup advice.

Im using AM882 drives and the following 4nm steppers (http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Nema23-Step...m-60BYGH401-03)
    I would like to know any general settings to make in the ProTuner software for the drives, as ill be configuring the alarm port setting so its always on and off in the event of a fault so i can daisy chain the alarms, and it will trigger a stop should a fuse go or a wire brake.

One question is i know its bad to unplug the motor from the drive while its running, but would it be bad to power the drive up with no stepper connected for setup purposes of the alarm circuit ect?

Many Thanks

Trev

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gotty101 For This Useful Post:

I've powered the drives up with no steppers and it's not affected them...whether it's a right thing to do is another question :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by Gotty101 View Post
    One question is i know its bad to unplug the motor from the drive while its running, but would it be bad to power the drive up with no stepper connected for setup purposes of the alarm circuit ect?
    No won't hurt it them at all.

Also Suggest you wire the alarms in parallel so if any one trips it turns on a relay. Put the E-stop thru a NC contact of that relay.
    This means the relay will reset when power drops and the drives will reset them selfs. Also you'll avoid any issues with voltage drop wiring in series can give and it's less stress on the drive transistors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thats great, thanks for the help guys.

Trev

Small update and rubbish pics. I've started running the cable into the cnc. Also due to my small cab and to make wiring easier for me I've made a pcb to handle the control of the master relay (that's not on this board). It's very basic in design but reduces space and handles drive fault signals and isolates to the limits due to their current drive limitations (bit otters but just incase) (am882s can only handle 100mah each and let's you setup in series or parallel depending on the am882same config), limits (the prox sensors can handle 300mah each) , estops, buzzers and over ride as well so a few other bits.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20151013-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	334.9 KB 
ID:	16336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151018_190113.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	16337  
    Last edited by Gotty101; 21-10-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Looking good Trev.

Like the PCB as well. You might find a few takers on here for that.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thank you everyone especially to JazzCNC for all your help. Today i finally got my cnc to move by mach and the motion controller for the first time. Im very pleased. Ive got some jobs to do yet like finish the control panel on the cnc itself, and sort the mist system.

I have one drive disconnected at the mo and have bypassed the alarm (will do a much better job of that), as that is for the eventual 4th axis, but i will learn the 3 first.

Thanks again guys

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by Gotty101 View Post
    Thank you everyone especially to JazzCNC for all your help. Today i finally got my cnc to move by mach and the motion controller for the first time. Im very pleased. Ive got some jobs to do yet like finish the control panel on the cnc itself, and sort the mist system.

I have one drive disconnected at the mo and have bypassed the alarm (will do a much better job of that), as that is for the eventual 4th axis, but i will learn the 3 first.

Thanks again guys

Trev
    Well done Trev, looking good. It's a good feeling when it moves for the first time isn't it! Finish off what needs doing first before starting to use it....otherwise it'll still need doing in 6 months time, ask me how I know!

Need to post a video of it cutting next...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Great another CNc Virgin's cherry is popped well done that man keep up the good work and listen to Neil . . . .Thou he should known better.!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Finish off what needs doing first before starting to use it....otherwise it'll still need doing in 6 months time, ask me how I know!
    Argh but you have no excuse Mr hussey because you were pre-warned. .

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information