. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi am,
    im looking at getting an index tool for the lathe.

but dont know what one would be best to get.

im currently using brazed TCT tools, and its a pain having to put them
    in for sharperning and they do a week turn around, plus the cost and
    travel cost to drop them off and collect them a week later.

so my thought is getting an indexing tool means i can change the tip when needed.
    and looking at the tips is it correct you can turn them around and use other end.
    and also some have three points.

so has anyone got any pointers on best one to get and why..

cheers all

Hi
    Chronos have a pretty good selection.
    http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh...ls.html#aCG214
    I was fortunate enough to aquire a good selection of the triangular tips when i worked as a Turner and made two holders to suit my Elliot Emcomat years ago, but to be honest i hardly use them and tend to stick with HSS 10mm square bits, you obviously are doing serious work so it's probably worth the investment, tips can be a bit pricey but convenience is priceless.
    Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

JB Cutting Tools sell some decent looking lathe tools and tips in various sizes. Worth a look. HSS has the advantage of being easy to touch up yourself but the indexable tips are nice to use.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

6. Or get a bench grinder and learn to sharpen them yourself ;)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

Green stones on a bench grinder don't produce the edge ideal finish on a carbide cutter but I did it this way for a couple of years, manually finishing tips with a diamond hone.
    I moved on to indexed cutters quite some time ago, there's still a place for HSS but with the range of carbide inserts available the argument against them is getting thinner. Being able to index a tip part way through a job and not lose the job zero on your DRO is worth a lot if you don't have time to burn,
    -
    Nick

9. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

I bought my first set of lathe tools a couple of weeks ago. Got a single 12mm indexable tool for £18 on eBay. And a set of 7 with parting tool for £40 on Aliexpress, arrived in 6days even though it estmated 4weeks delivery.

Then found some bargain kennametal tips o ebay. Got a standard grade and a stainless steel grade, both at £7.99 for box of 5 delivered.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo_cnc For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    For smaller lathes, you can't really go wrong with CC_T insert holders, as the insert choice and cutting angles are a good compromise. The insert size is upto you, however if you're getting a boring bar, it's worth going for the smaller inserts, as it reduces the number of insert sizes/types you need to have.
    A SCLCR holder is what you'll most likely be looking for, as it's the most versatile in terms of turning/facing.

I've personally never bothered with triangular inserts other than for threading, as they're not as versatile, and in 12mm shank sizes you're limited to size 11 inserts, which aren't as common.

Have a look at http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/lathe-turning-tools-apt.html as it shows the directions that the tools/inserts are designed to be used. You can use them in other directions, but it's not recommended.
    (and if you're looking for insert parting tools, look at the grooving section, as APT's grooving/multi direction WDN insert tools are pretty good)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi
    Chronos have a pretty good selection.
    yer ive used chronos before, and i see they do a Economy Set of 5
    like ebay do for £28
    but what i didnt want to do is jump at something and reget buying it.
    ild prefer to buy two for the same price that are much better quality, if you see what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    JB Cutting Tools sell some decent looking lathe tools and tips in various sizes.
    cheers i will do a search on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Or get a bench grinder and learn to sharpen them yourself ;)
    ive got three and one with green stone, but without a rest table and slide for angles its not so easy to keep the correct angle for sharpening them.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Green stones on a bench grinder don't produce the edge ideal finish on a carbide cutter
    i did try and sharpen one, but it didnt seem to work, like how a professonal sharpening place do them.
    why i want to go over to index tool and changable bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_cnc View Post
    I bought my first set of lathe tools a couple of weeks ago. Got a single 12mm indexable tool for £18 on eBay. And a set of 7 with parting tool for £40 on Aliexpress, arrived in 6days even though it estmated 4weeks delivery.
    Then found some bargain kennametal tips o ebay. Got a standard grade and a stainless steel grade, both at £7.99 for box of 5 delivered.
    nice, i already have a parting tool that came in a kit with knurling tools.
    and a fair few TCT cutters
    boring bar, Radius cutter, internal and external thread
    and a few left and right ones.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    For smaller lathes, you can't really go wrong with CC_T insert holders, as the insert choice and cutting angles are a good compromise.
    A SCLCR holder is what you'll most likely be looking for, as it's the most versatile in terms of turning/facing.
    Have a look at http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/lathe-turning-tools-apt.html as it shows the directions that the tools/inserts are designed to be used. You can use them in other directions, but it's not recommended.
    (and if you're looking for insert parting tools, look at the grooving section, as APT's grooving/multi direction WDN insert tools are pretty good)
    cheers m_c very helpful.....
    Last edited by T0rnado69; 27-10-2014 at 03:09 AM. Reason: add more

well im getting a little confused, as i see there is.

SCLCR
    DCMT
    CCMT

whats the difference between them all..

im using the quick change toolpost and it will take 12mm tools, if thats any help.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    For smaller lathes, you can't really go wrong with CC_T insert holders, as the insert choice and cutting angles are a good compromise. The insert size is upto you, however if you're getting a boring bar, it's worth going for the smaller inserts, as it reduces the number of insert sizes/types you need to have.
    i like the idea of that, even better if one size tip fits all the holders.
    Last edited by T0rnado69; 14-12-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    DCMT and CCMT are insert designations, with C being a 80deg diamond and D being a 55deg diamond.
    This link is a good guide for what all the letters mean - https://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm
    SCLCR is a toolholder designation, that takes CC_T inserts.
    Carbide depot also has this page explaining the individual digits - https://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-th-d.htm however the additional sizes on that chart are for imperial not metric.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information