. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    The vectors are the workpiece that is the part you will cut and use, think of the "material" as your piece of paper you are drawing on, you only need to set the thickness of the material for the size of the part required.
    I can see why it's easy to think like that but No, the material is the stuff you are cutting, so it's the workpiece.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

What if you're v-carving a rectangular workpiece? Rotating the vectors only will give you a very different finished workpiece.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    What if you're v-carving a rectangular workpiece? Rotating the vectors only will give you a very different finished workpiece.
    Say you have a sheet of ply 8' x 4' and is the max of your machine bed 8' is in X axis but you want to V carve text to go across 4' Y axis you draw it in X axis and rotate and place in Y axis.

You cannot rotate the "Material" as Eddy seems to think you can.

You cannot rotate the "Material" as Eddy seems to think you can.
    Okay, this is my last post on this. I do not seem to think you can rotate the material. All I'm saying is two things;

1. Only the vectors rotate when you apply transforms, the material does not.
    2. As I see it the material is part of the workpiece

And lastly I don't have any problem with this, it's just the way it is.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-10-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Okay, this is my last post on this. I do not seem to think you can rotate the material. All I'm saying is two things;

1. Only the vectors rotate when you apply transforms, the material does not. "Correct"
    2. As I see it the material is part of the workpiece
    read what D-man asked for in post 1 "Hey guys, I'm having a bit or a mate at the moment with the workpiece in vcarve pro outputting to the machine.

for example if I want to cut along the Y on the machine I have to create my workpiece vertically in VCP

any ideas

Okay, this is my last post on this.
    I lied

phill05, if I was cutting shapes from sheet material or stock that was well oversize for the job, it would not matter that only the vectors rotate.
    But if you cut like I do where the material profile is cut to size first on a saw, then clearly if only the vectors rotate they would no longer fit the stock material.
    I use CamBam mostly and it's the same with that, if I apply transforms the stock material is unaffected, so what I have to do is resize the stock to orient it in the other direction, i.e. swap over the X and Y values.
    Now all that is fine and I don't have a problem with that but what I am saying different to you is this, the material or stock in some instances, as above, is clearly the workpiece.

I lied

I guessed you would (smile)

Now all that is fine and I don't have a problem with that but what I am saying different to you is this, the material or stock in some instances, as above, is clearly the workpiece.
    Eddy the question asked was how do I create my workpiece Vertically in VCP to which I replied, change workpiece orintation.

Eddy It was your contribution that first saw light of Material: "I just tried Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right in VCarve, it rotates the vectors but not the material (workpiece stock)"

Eddy I am working on different designs every day of many differnt sizes and the Vectors are my workpiece, I don't get to see a machine bed or get my hands dirty, I design and feed G code to 2 machines, I tell the guys 30 plus miles away from me in which axis to load the stone, power on and leave me to it.

So could we both agree / disagree the we could both be right.

Last question to D-man great you got sorted mate lets see some of your work now, and who looks the fussy twat now.

Phill

Eddy the question asked was how do I create my workpiece Vertically in VCP to which I replied, change workpiece orintation.

Eddy It was your contribution that first saw light of Material: "[COLOR=#333333]I just tried Ctrl +9 45 left, Ctrl +0 45 right in VCarve, it rotates the vectors but not the material (workpiece stock)"
    No

post #17, Earl said your hotkeys in post #15 only rotated the vectors not the workpiece
    post #20, you said, "The Vectors are the workpiece!!"
    post #24, I was responding to your post#20 by confirming what Earl said in post #17.

Then I started to think about what constituted the 'Workpiece', it was different to your thoughts, and it went on from there

Eddy I am working on different designs every day of many differnt sizes and the Vectors are my workpiece, I don't get to see a machine bed or get my hands dirty, I design and feed G code to 2 machines, I tell the guys 30 plus miles away from me in which axis to load the stone, power on and leave me to it.
    And that explains how you visualise the workpiece.

So could we both agree / disagree the we could both be right.
    In the greater scheme of things it does not matter who thinks what, but I generally like to find a difinitive answer such as the definition of 'workpiece'

Maybe this ? http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...lish/workpiece
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 31-10-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information