. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry, I stepped out for a bit.
    I will reset to default values and do another video for you Gerry with screen included
    What had you changed? What you posted before were the defaults.

What is your Safe Z set to? Is it set to Machine Coordinates?

Third attempt, works great with a 5.3 offset and same settings as above. go to zero and it just kisses the work piece
    Not great, as Z zero should be 5.3mm above the workpiece.

Leave the Material Offset unchecked until you get it to zero reliably without plunging. This just adds more complexity to the equation.

Second attempt, with clearance set to 20mm Goes up! but plunges too far when set to top of work piece.
    Can you try this again, and tell me what the DRO says when it finishes? If your plate is 16mm, then it should finish 4mm above the plate, and the Z DRO should read +20.000

After probing, the macro sens a single G0 Z move to the clearance plane, which should be UP.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

After reading my manual and watching your videos a few more times, I've determined that the issue is operator error on your part.

Your plate thickness is 16mm. The bottom of the plate is Z = 0. Your clearance plane is Z=3, resulting in the tool plunging 13mm into the plate.

I'm still a bit confused about the time you had a material offset of 5.3mm, as Z zero should have been 5.3mm above the table???
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Yeah its defiantly my fault. I just don't understand why after the second touch it goes down rather than up to clear.

You ain't even got time to quickly whip the plate from under it so it don't hit the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Yeah its defiantly my fault. I just don't understand why after the second touch it goes down rather than up to clear.
    As I said:

Your plate thickness is 16mm. The bottom of the plate is Z = 0. Your clearance plane is Z=3, resulting in the tool plunging 13mm into the plate.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

But shouldn't it rise 3 mm. To get the plate out and then drop 19 mm to Z 0 when goto zero is pressed or am I grasping this thing all wrong?

(16+3=19. Go to zero -19 in the positive direction)

And then for an example if an offset of say 5mm is set, then it would offset from Z zero 5mm

Is it possible that the plate is too thick for the settings/script? Reason i ask is when a clearance of 20mm is entered it then goes up. But then plunges too far
    Last edited by D-man; 02-11-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Right, this is embarrassing!

for starters my plate thickness is not 16mm! i cut a 5mm pocket where it sits on the corner of the workpiece!! so in actual fact it is 11mm!!

i shall let you know if anything changes!
    Last edited by D-man; 02-11-2014 at 10:34 AM.

nope! still drives into the plate after the second touch

Leave the 'Material offset' unchecked for now. Enter your 'plate thickness' as 11mm and enter your 'clearance plane' as 20mm. This will make the tool raise to 20mm above your workpiece material after probing (9mm above your plate).

Strangly enough that worked! however, when i press "go to zero" the tool plunges into the material around 0.2mm shall i use the "offset" to counter act that?

Z axis steps etc has been set up and is spot on.

Glad you're getting somewhere now.

The tool is probably plunging into the material because your plate thickness isn't exactly 11mm thick. Measure the thickness as accurately as you can and change the plate thickness value. For example, my plate is just a piece of copper clad circuit board and it is 1.56mm thick, that is the value I use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to firetrappe For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information