. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    So do you guys think that a lathe conversion is the way to got for me with my current budget? Is the round bed/old lathe setup I added a link to in my previous post (similar to the one I currently have) suitable for such a conversion?
    Last edited by suraj1793; 14-11-2014 at 09:15 PM.

2. In a word, no. That's not to say it can't be done as a purely intellectual exercise, just that the results will be disappointing, plus the cost of conversion will far exceed what the lathe is worth. And it won't be a quick exercise either.

As the owner of several pre-1930 British lathes I can tell you that the backlash in the lead-screws and the lack of rigidity in the bed/headstock/bearings/etc make it pointless. Manually operated, I know the machine's limits so know how far I can push it and leave some slack for the final finishing passes. They were very much a seat-of-the-pants exercise, feeling the tool/bed/headstock/bearing/workpiece deflections to creep up on the desired end diameter. A CNC machine simply cannot come close, it needs the rigidity and precision in the basic machine to start with.

Thanks irving, do you know of any other CNC projects I could work on which are within my budget? Been looking at plasma cutters which look interesting but I am guessing they are also expensive. If not, I guess I will have to just hold off until I can put atleast £1000 forward as per JAZZ's advice.

4. I know you're itching to start but patience is the name of the game here. I don't know your circumstances, but have you looked at ways to gain access to someone else's machine for example? Maybe there's a local tech college evening course, or a local small engineering firm that might be amenable in return for free labour - use your imagination and get creative!

Ok I can't see such enthusiasm go un-rewarded or dampened. . .

I'm very soon going to be upgrading my own machine with new profiled rails, ballscrews and nearly most of the gantry and Z axis in preparation for sale. So when I do then old ones are yours for just 24 pack of Guiness.!

They are very very well used with some wear but they will make a perfectly good machine with some TLC.
    Linear bearings are Profiled Hi-win and still fine but ballnut/screws and end bearings are worn but with some new balls/bearings then they could be brought back to life and tweak a few more years from them.

There should be most of the parts needed for machine except the main frame. I'll PM you when they are off and available.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok I can't see such enthusiasm go un-rewarded or dampened. . .

I'm very soon going to be upgrading my own machine with new profiled rails, ballscrews and nearly most of the gantry and Z axis in preparation for sale. So when I do then old ones are yours for just 24 pack of Guiness.!

They are very very well used with some wear but they will make a perfectly good machine with some TLC.
    Linear bearings are Profiled Hi-win and still fine but ballnut/screws and end bearings are worn but with some new balls/bearings then they could be brought back to life and tweak a few more years from them.

There should be most of the parts needed for machine except the main frame. I'll PM you when they are off and available.
    I already greatly appreciated your guidance and learning from your huge amount of knowledge and experience (that alone has saved me so much potentially wasted time and money for which I cant thank you enough) but, getting such a huge amount of help from you with parts for the build...I don't really know what to say but THANK YOU!!! I don't know how I could ever return such a big favor and know for sure that a 24 pack of Guiness is no where near enough to do so!!!

Thank you for everything, I am very grateful and owe you big time!!!

EDIT: Do you think that the following (http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1541-...-framed-router) would still be a suitable build with these parts or is there something better suited?
    Last edited by suraj1793; 16-11-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information