5 - ON
    6 - OFF
    7 - ON
    8 - ON

Output Current(A): 5.7
    RMS current: 4.00
    micro step: 1600 pulse/rev
    Standstill current: half dynamic current

microstep 1600 probably means (360/1.8)x8 = 1600 in which case 1/8 microstep
    I think motors are 6A
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 04-11-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Thank you for your reply.im trying to get more information for you as you've been a great help just a bit unsure where to find the rest.what is a normal feed rate for this type of machine on aluminium

Do you have any screens on the cables to the steppers (I don't see any) or perhaps consider cat5 twisted pairs for the step and dir etc. ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 04-11-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lukecnc2012 View Post
    what is a normal feed rate for this type of machine on aluminium
    I don't know the answer to this as I don't use a machine like it or cut aluminium, it would only be a guess by searching for other people's settings and you can do that yourself.
    However I do know you need to find out how far the X and Y move for one revolution of the driving screw.
    Also set the acceleration and velocity to be the same for X and Y so they work better on curves.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-11-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I don't know the answer to this as I don't use a machine like it or cut aluminium, it would only be a guess by searching for other people's settings and you can do that yourself.
    However I do know you need to find out how far the X and Y move for one revolution of the driving screw.
    Also set the acceleration and velocity to be the same for X and Y so they work better on curves.
    thank you for the reply what is the best way to find the steps per revolution. I guess moving the machine in hand wheel is a start.

Quote Originally Posted by lukecnc2012 View Post
    thank you for the reply what is the best way to find the steps per revolution. I guess moving the machine in hand wheel is a start.
    No, not how many steps per revolution but how many millimeters does the table move for one revolution of the stepper motor, you need this for both X and Y directions.
    Looking at the photo, your stepper motors appear to be directly coupled to the end of the lead screws and therefore have a 1:1 ratio.

In Mach 3 the calculation for 'steps per' is;

((360 degrees / motor step angle) * microstep value) / screw pitch

So for your machine we don't know the screw pitch and that is what you need to do by turning the screw one rev and measuring the table distance moved.

As an example for my machine the calculation is;
    ((360/1.8) * 8) / 10 = 160 steps per.

Similar to what jazzcnc said but using 1/8 microstep it looks like your machine has a screw pitch of 2.0176mm which sounds a bit odd.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-11-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Eddy's correct and to do the maths we need the screw pitch. . .BUT . . . There is another way to do this if you don't know. (thou in your case it's not hard to find out)
    In Mach on the settings Tab there is an option to "Set steps per Unit" it's just above the reset button.

To do this you will need to accurately measure how far the machine moves. (Tape measure isn't accurate enough)
    when you click the button it will ask which Axis to calibrate then after this it will ask how far to move. Enter an amount, soon as you click enter the machine will move in a positive direction. Mach will then ask how far it moved, so measure distance and enter into box then it will calculate the STEPS PER for you.

Do this for each axis and you'll be set. The longer the distance you can measure and the more accurate the better.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 05-11-2014 at 08:17 PM.

hi guys getting an error saying ( cant have a move of zero) this comes up when i go to type in the distance i want the machine to move

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information