. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have been looking for some bristles to make a dust shoe however I need them to be as long as posable ie maybe something like 100-150mm. All the door dust strips I have found are normally only sold in 3m lengths and mounted in a metal track so no good for a curved shoe , it was also incredibly expensive for long bristles. Are there any other solutions to the problem or somewhere were I can get shorter lengths? Many thanks

http://www.formseal.co.uk/camstrips.html

It should be possible to bend it.

CAMSTRIP is the required search term I think, I did see it on a roll once.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 04-11-2014 at 09:37 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

what i did was cut a channel and then i found a paint brush and cut the bristles off. I then super glued them into the channel. Its held up quite well so far and pretty cheap.

I'd forgotten about that, someone mentioned it a while back, hot melt glue would work well too I imaging, I think that's the right answer for me.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

the only problem i had with super glue was it creeped up the bristles a bit so maybe a resin/epoxy might be better or even hot glue as mentioned.

Does it have to be bristles ? Could a sheet of vinyl be sliced to make a comb ?

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Does it have to be bristles ? Could a sheet of vinyl be sliced to make a comb ?

I think this is the method I will be trying.

Cut a strip of vinyl, double sided tape to stick it down, cut very thin "combs" using a metal ruler and sharp blade, layer maybe 2 or 3 strips and glue/attach to the shoe.

Jim
    Last edited by cncJim; 05-11-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Jim, do you think that is more efficient with regard to suction ? what is the advantage over bristles ?
    I tried it with one layer of plastic but large gaps opened up as the shoe went down.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-11-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Hey Eddy - I would think bristles would be best as far as suction goes? - But I like the idea of giving it a try with plastic. I would also try and cut the combs as thin as possible (double sided tape should help with that) and then have a few layers to prevent/minimise the gaps you mentioned. One problem I have seen with some diy plastic jobs online is the combs being sucked into the shoe/cutter so I would need to consider that!
    For me, my main aim isn't best/most efficient suction, it just to stop the majority of the wood chips being launched around my garage.....
    Last edited by cncJim; 05-11-2014 at 12:19 PM.

At the moment my machine is lying dead, Its beating heart of a BoB stilled when the magic smoke escaped. When it lives again, I will have to try out the drag knife, cutting A4 sheets of thin vinyl with rows of closely spaced parallel lines. Then I can divide the sheets down the middle, to make combs fine enough for mermaid's hair.

I saw one good idea - to hinge the front section of the comb. It made tool changing easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information