. .

Thread: Boxford TCL 160

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ouch

Hi

Not sure if you can help or not but I've got the same problem you had with the turret gear, I've bought a new gear from boxford but just wondered if the gear is timed up to the turret station stops in any way or is it just placed on the shaft with the gear teeth sitting any place you want, I'm assuming you have bought a new gear also and repaired the turret as apposed to buying a new one as they are so expensive?? Any help would be very much appreciated,

Thanks

John

If I remember correctly the shaft had a key way in it. To locate the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBrodie View Post
    If I remember correctly the shaft had a key way in it. To locate the gear.
    Hi

Firstly thanks for your reply,

Sadly no keyway whatsoever on mine it was secured in with two grub screws at the end face of the shaft. The issue with this is I would need to drill 2 new holes and tap them to secure it again this way.

I've had a look online on boxford website and they sell the grub screws and the gear has no key way slot in it so I assumed all must be done that way??

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by John wilkinson View Post
    Hi

Firstly thanks for your reply,

Sadly no keyway whatsoever on mine it was secured in with two grub screws at the end face of the shaft. The issue with this is I would need to drill 2 new holes and tap them to secure it again this way.
    Don’t remember having to drill any holes. Do the grub screws go through part 17-004? If you haven’t solved it I can be more help next week when I’m back at school.

Neil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0393869F-96F5-48EC-A73B-CE94C7B1622C.jpeg 
Views:	227 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	25819   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82BC6124-1E50-4489-BA4B-807BCB259DC3.jpeg 
Views:	237 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	25820  

Morning Neil

No I haven't solved it as yet, the grub screws go through the face of the gear and the shaft it slides onto, so the holes are drilled, then tapped, half of each hole on each part so I suppose it is a kind of keyway, so when the grub screws are screwed in this would then be the keys to stop it from spinning on the shaft, I had a look at the photo you put on a few years ago and it does look like it was the same set up

Cheers

John.

I had this machine a long time ago and had a lot of trouble getting the auto tool post to lock in place.First the shaft should be locked don't mater how or were as long as it is . 2 the rotation is just a number of steps forward and locking is reverse until the steper stalls simple as that , just experiment to find how many degrees to go .3 I had to fit a stronger steper to get it to hold fast and also increased the power . All this eventually worked although the toolpost macro was as usfull as a chocolate teapot ,just set it up as a axis and set it for degrees.The whole thing is very primitive . I now have a M300 that works a great deal better

My little TCL160 is still plugging along. Life has thrown a whole series of tragedies at me since I started this thread but hopefully that's all behind me.

Has anyone ever mounted a face plate to a 160 ? I need to turn a taper into a couple of sprockets and they're too big to hold in the 80mm chuck.

Would it be possible to hold one in the chuck or is that too sketchy ? Failing that, I presume I need to find out the register for the spindle and get one turned. I had to buy a new 80mm chuck from Boxford to get a set of outside chuck jaws as none came with the machine, but I can't recall the brand of chuck they supplied. I seem to recall it was a Bison-Bial ?

Adrian.

Have you considered threading the largest bar you can fit in your chuck with a conveniently available tap thread size and making a face plate on a parallel shank which you can hold in the chuck?
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information