. .
    According to the spec sheet, this lathe should use DCGT090202SCT12A inserts with the LH and RH cutting tools, an SGTFL 101-1.6 insert for the parting tool and an EPMT06024E-S3X5 insert for the external threading tool.

I spent last night Googling for these and singularly failed to find a source outside the USA. I'm guessing the world of indexable tooling has moved on since 1998

Various people sell DCMT inserts, but only in 7mm or 11mm thicknesses, which I'm guessing won't fit a tool designed for 9mm thick inserts ?

A 10mm shank set of the four main tools will cost around £75 from Glanze, and would use readily available inserts, so I'm leaning towards binning the Boxford supplied stuff and moving over to Glanze instead.

Has anyone used Glanze tooling in a TCL ?

Adrian.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Are you sure it's not a typo?
    The first two digits refer to the length of the longest edge, so you should be able to measure the holders to check that they are infact 9mm.
    The only key digits are the DC_T090202. The 3rd letter is the insert tolerance, so isn't critical for normal use, with everything after the 6 size digits being manufacture specific to identify the insert material.
    This page has a breakdown of the codes - https://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm
    The main thing when purchasing tools, is the shank size. On a typical lathe ATC, you have to either ensure you use the correct shank height so the insert is at the correct height, or shim the tool to the correct height.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I can't say for certain whether it's a typo, but it's lifted directly from the 160 Spec sheet on the Boxford website archive.

I'll toddle off down and measure one...

...yup, definitely 9mm along the diamond's side. I had to remove it as all the cutting tips are shattered.

The spec says:

1 LH turning tool,10mm shank.
    1 RH turning tool,10mm shank.

So I'm happy a 10mm set should be suitable.

Adrian.
    Last edited by Saracen; 06-11-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo!

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    it's not a typo, there are 09 series tips. You'll only get them from boxford as it's not a size that is carried by engineers merchants. I contacted boxford years ago about this and they wanted about £12 for one 09 dcmt tip, so as you probably guessed i gave them a miss. You can get a new 07 sized holder and a box of ten tips for around £50 from msc or cromwell.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i2i For This Useful Post:

I ended up getting replacement inserts for most of the tools, and a couple of new ones from a set by Chronos. However, due to brain fade in a very cold work shop, I've managed to break the clamp on the parting tool which came with the lathe. It's a cut down Iscar SGTFL 1010-1.6. I can't seem to find any left hand 10 mm shank parting tools on line. A couple of places in the states sell the Iscar tool but they're asking over $120, plus I'm guessing the USPS cost is going to be prohibitive.

Does anyone know of a source of a 1010 LH parting tool ? The ones I have found have all been 1212 or above.

I've mounted a blade type Glanze parting tool as a trial but it appears to be around 0.8mm behind the centre line, so will need some careful shimming, and sits on the front of the turret in a somewhat ugly fashion.

I could fit a RH parting bit but the interference from the chuck jaws would mean I would have to part at least 15mm further away from the chuck than at present.

Adrian

What's the problem to mill or grind 2mm from the bottom of the toolholder.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a mill or grinding wheels.

Rather than try and force an alternative to fit, I've placed an order with ISCAR UK for a replacement tool holder.

Adrian.

Thats not a clean method.
    But you can clamp a part like a toolholder between your chuckyaws and turn the bottom down.
    You must centre it so you don't have a large imbalance and can't more then maximum 0,5mm per step, but its possible. A better method is to clamp the tool 90° false in your toolholder, and an endmill in your chuck, but if you only have 10mm, so its no option, because many tools have square, not rectangle shafts.

Another possible solution is, you make or let make a special adapter tool that looks more or less like a lying Y. On one side its 10 mm to clamp in the turret on the other side it have a 12 or 16mm Slot for the bigger toolholders.

Thread Information