. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's a boob size lol

To go through something sim to this

Last edited by Dean jeffery; 08-11-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post

Am I the only one who doesn't know? What is a double D?
    No

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    EDM would be expensive if you were paying someone else to do it, however if you've got time and are willing to build a machine, then it wouldn't be quite so bad, but it depends on what your goals are.
    Another option could be to machine the shape as near as possible on a mill, then use a small shaper and custom cutter to cut the sharp corners.
    Dealing with Ti isn't that much different from stainless. You've got to use sharp tools and ensure they never rub as it'll workharden in the blink of an eye. It also produces swarf with a far shaper edge than stainless, so you have to be careful handling it.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't know? What is a double D?
    No once again, the first thing it reminded me of was Double Diamond ale I could sup a few of those at one time.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 08-11-2014 at 09:55 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    EDM would be expensive if you were paying someone else to do it, however if you've got time and are willing to build a machine, then it wouldn't be quite so bad, but it depends on what your goals are.
    Another option could be to machine the shape as near as possible on a mill, then use a small shaper and custom cutter to cut the sharp corners.
    Dealing with Ti isn't that much different from stainless. You've got to use sharp tools and ensure they never rub as it'll workharden in the blink of an eye. It also produces swarf with a far shaper edge than stainless, so you have to be careful handling it.
    Cheers for the info but EDM is out of my league, think I will drill the corners and see how it looks. This is the easiest option I think, failing that machine to has close has pos like you say and then shunt be to hard to make a broach just to take the corners out, should be able to use a small press then.
    Failing both these options I would have see about getting them done else where, just wanted to make these with paying anybody to do any machine work.

Cheers

Mill as close as you can then finish with a custom made profile tool in a shaper, press or even using a mill quill action with the rotation locked.

Yep that's what I was and advised and thought about, maybe just easier and quicker to have them broach. Thinking about it it may cause issues using a 4mm end mill to cut titanium, maybe just easier to drill 8mm or so and then just send to be done. Just depends on the cost for doing 100 at a time, will see how the over cut looks first but then still left with the dilemma of the 4mm cutter. Alloy would be no probs and some would be done in alloy, cheers for all your inputs.

Hi Dean
    It might be possible to use a wobble/rotary broach to do this but the only type i have seen leave a symetrical hole ie hexagon internal spline ect but the holders l can be self made but you would have to get the tool made as the the usual silver steel tool(hobyist aproach) would probably not fair to well with Titanium.
    Just a thought but if you are running batches of 100 you need to get tooled up and a wobble broach setup can be done in the lathe or mill.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Dean
    It might be possible to use a wobble/rotary broach to do this but the only type i have seen leave a symetrical hole ie hexagon internal spline ect but the holders l can be self made but you would have to get the tool made as the the usual silver steel tool(hobyist aproach) would probably not fair to well with Titanium.
    Just a thought but if you are running batches of 100 you need to get tooled up and a wobble broach setup can be done in the lathe or mill.
    Regards
    Mike
    Cheers Mike I have seen this been done just but not seen or found any double D's clearly can be made to order, also not sure on what depth these allow. But is another option to consider and has you say if tooled up then this would make is post in doing it all myself and all on the mill.

Cheers

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Very interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUEcagEmmZo and http://www.polygonsolutions.com/rota...rotary-broach/You learn something new every day ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 09-11-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information