. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dezaud View Post
    Have you noticed any considerable wear in on your hiwin setup, things sliding easier I mean?
    Don't worry about the preload it won't be a problem. By hand they feel stiff but to get a better idea of how they will really feel then put a rail on a level floor and put slight pressure on with your foot and you'll see they slide easily. Be careful not to put too much force or they will shoot off with you.!!. . .Lol

In use they do free up a little but not massive amount and you don't want them to really. If aliagned and looked after correctly they will last for many many years giving hassle free usage.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Too late now but I think you should have got 20's all round. The 15's are a problem to get grease into but if you find a good solution please let us konw.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7273-...highlight=hg15
    I set out today to try and solve the grease problem on the hg15 and I think I may have done it with a little m4 nipple some silicone tube and a syringe to inject the grease which I plan on warming up first so it's a little more liquid. I will report back tomorrow when I give it a go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	14152  

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    I set out today to try and solve the grease problem on the hg15
    Good man ! I can't wait to hear the results.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Too late now but I think you should have got 20's all round. The 15's are a problem to get grease into but if you find a good solution please let us konw.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7273-...highlight=hg15
    Through the rail. Drill the rail and set up so, that when the carriage is over grease goes in through the rail hole.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    Through the rail. Drill the rail and set up so, that when the carriage is over grease goes in through the rail hole.
    I don't fully get what you are saying. It's not so much access, although there is little clearance between the nipple and the base, it's because of the non standard nipple design and finding the right end for a grease gun.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

The principal works with the nipples only thing I'm struggling with is that the grease is quite thick and very hard to pump in with a syringe. Is there a thinner type of grease I could use or something I could mix it with even if I have to do it more often. ? At the moment I'm just trying high performance lithium bearing grease class2

I set out today to try and solve the grease problem on the hg15 and I think I may have done it with a little m4 nipple some silicone tube and a syringe to inject the grease which I plan on warming up first so it's a little more liquid. I will report back tomorrow when I give it a go.

I use this method all the time on hard to reach areas, even with 6mm nipples. Don't mess around with a syringe buy a small grease gun. Then put standard 6mm nipple on one end of pipe with threads inside the pipe and 4mm nipple on other end with nipple inside the pipe so can screw into bearing.

Then just connect 6mm to grease gun as normal. You'll need to wire the pipe to the nipples else the pressure blows them off.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-12-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Eddy
    Think what siliavski means is drill the end of the rail along its length offset so you don't intercept a securing bolt drilling, then drill down from the top of the rail to intercept the hole, drill & tap the end drilling for a nipple, so home all axis and grease six nipples, never seen the 15mm rails up close but you might be able to get a 3mm hole in it & that should be more than adequate for wheel bearing grease.
    Regards
    Mike

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Eddy
    Think what siliavski means is drill the end of the rail along its length offset so you don't intercept a securing bolt drilling, then drill down from the top of the rail to intercept the hole, drill & tap the end drilling for a nipple, so home all axis and grease six nipples, never seen the 15mm rails up close but you might be able to get a 3mm hole in it & that should be more than adequate for wheel bearing grease.
    Regards
    Mike
    Thanks Mike (and silyavski) I understand that now and it sounds like a good idea. Both ends of the rails would need to be drilled.
    The important thing is where to drill the exit hole in the rail, need to study some diagrams or remove a bearing to see what's best, maybe it needs more than one hole in order to reach all the races ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-12-2014 at 12:49 PM.

. . . the grease is quite thick and very hard to pump in with a syringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You'll need to wire the pipe to the nipples else the pressure blows them off.
    There does seem to be lot of resistance, I think the rail drilling idea might be the way to go.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 20-12-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information