. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If its brick wall don't worry to much about covering them, no sound produced by any machine is likely to to penetrate it with much energy left unless the sound source is applied directly to the wall e.g. drilling into the wall with a hammer drill. If you are on a budget then something like old carpet + underfelt inside the ceiling between the trusses will makes a good difference. The basic idea is to get things as air tight as possible and damping where you cannot make it air tight. Think along the lines of how well modern cars are sound proofed.

Thank for the msg Mike. It is handy to know of your issues and I am glad you got it right, I bet it will be worth it in the end. I will watch the Youtube videos for sure and download the book.

Many thanks

Suesi

Hi michejc,

Thanks for the views and tips I have lots of thinking to do. If I have the workshop built I want it done well so I would spend a reasonable amount and just do it once.

Many thanks

Suesi

Apologies for being late to the party, but if you want some interesting reading on sound reduction, check this link:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1991-09.pdf

The BBC have put a lot of time into investigating lightweight sound reduction ideas. They're looking at it from the perspective of recording studios rather than workshops but, if you don't mind it getting a bit technical, the PDF linked might give you a better idea of some of the considerations involved.

A while back while i was working in a the depths of an RFA Vessel. We got to thinking about noise reduction or even noise cancelling. We tried a few methods and was semi successfull use a mike and a laptop output the opposite noise. In a small ish place it could work quite well. The computer would in realtime monitor the noise created and output the opposite noise to cancel it out. If i can find the software i used ill post it up.

I know its slightly ott and probably not worth the time, but for al diyers its a great little project.

The principle is that the software generates a inverted sound, essentially cancelling out the sound around you.
    Last edited by Jester; 05-05-2015 at 06:44 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:

Hi Rogue,

Many thanks for your msg and the link it sounds interesting and I shall have a look.

All the best

Suesi

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Apologies for being late to the party, but if you want some interesting reading on sound reduction, check this link:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1991-09.pdf

The BBC have put a lot of time into investigating lightweight sound reduction ideas. They're looking at it from the perspective of recording studios rather than workshops but, if you don't mind it getting a bit technical, the PDF linked might give you a better idea of some of the considerations involved.

Hi Jester,

Many thanks for your msg. I have to say I have not heard of noise cancelation software. I am glad you did not send your msg on April fools day or I may not have given it much thought.
    I will have to have a look into how much difference the software can make but it sounds good in theory! I would love to know what software you used and an example of the success you had.

All the best

Suesi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information