. .
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    We'll guys, after a couple weeks deliberating about an imported machine, I have decided to take it upon myself to just build bug myself.

router will be mainly constructed from the following

steel box section for the base
    160x80 extrusion for the gantry
    cnc router parts rack and pinion drives on the X
    planetary gearbox on the Y
    16mm ballscrew and 15mm Hiwin on the Z (thanks lateatnight)
    20mm hiwin on the X & Y

Renderings and pics to follow.

OK so... We start off with a nice and heavy base.

Base is constructed of 100 x 100 Cold rolled box section for the main legs and 100 x 60 on the base table.

80 x 80 Extrusion will run alone each side of the table with smll slots in the box section to allow for slight adjustment. then locked off with angle brackets

Im still not sure if i should lose the leg in the centre to allow me to run a brace under the table to help a little more to aid the crabbing of the gantry. this will also open up the possibility of using rotating ball nuts in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base.JPG 
Views:	4159 
Size:	726.7 KB 
ID:	13897  

Over complicated derek with not enough support for the bed. The spacing of the cross beams is too far apart and I would make them full width and support from under side.

Less is more.? Go bigger on the steel structure but have less of it. Check this out to get an idea what I mean.

Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-11-2014 at 11:51 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Now. you have really threw a spanner in the works! after seeing that i just want to buy one outright! haha

In terms of not enough support, shall i just run the crossmembers striaght through as you say? i had planned on putting an Ali extrusion bed over the top of this also...

Is this what you had in mind?

Ive turned the bed supports vertically to give a little more support and transfered the long one to the bottom to support

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Base 2.JPG 
Views:	2958 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	13898  

Very keen to see how this goes as I'm thinking a 8'x4' machine could be my next build and have probably enough steal kicking around to build one. What are you designing it to cut?

Are you not tempted by ball screws for the long axis as well?

I'm thinking that by the time you do all the rack and pinnion stuf ball screws would probably not be much more?

Hey Charlie thanks for the interest.

I would live ballscrews but can't be chewed to sit and design the rotating nut for the screws. I already have the rack and pinion drives so it's not a problem just a case of getting some longer mod1 rack.

The toughest thing I plan to cut is ali. But the machine will mainly be for wood and acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    Is this what you had in mind?

Ive turned the bed supports vertically to give a little more support and transfered the long one to the bottom to support
    Yes and No. Yes to one piece supports but the spinal beam needs supporting from below not just fastening under the bed supports as that's doing nothing really.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes and No. Yes to one piece supports but the spinal beam needs supporting from below not just fastening under the bed supports as that's doing nothing really.!
    Yeah pal there is 3 pieces under the spine as per drawing 1. I ain't so quick with solidworks just yet so thought I would see if that's what you meant first.

It's a shame your not closer Charlie, could of welded them both up in one shift haha not bad for the steel either. Total cost of just under 200 notes.

Unlimited supply of tea and coffee and access to on site cafe if anyone wants to venture down to help hold this thing together while i weld it up haha

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information