. .
    i have 4 hss86 closed loop drivers and wanting to connect the error ports on them to my ub1 mainly because i have 2 motors on my y axis and if 1 should drop out i need the system to halt so's not to twist the gantry. would i be alright in running a 5v from bob to fault+ then Fault- back to a x,input thats soldered to safety circuit? just worried that it may put too much current through bob.also looking at connecting up enable terminals on drivers which require 5v any help always appreciated.

Not familiar with your driver's, but if you want to use the safety circuit on the UB1 you must use a pin between x103-x110. These are (at least default operation) 24V NPN pins, so the X103 pins pull up to +24V and watch for when it is connected to 0V. I certainly wouldn't recommend connecting any of the X input pins to +5V, just because they are labelled input doesn't mean you can just send them logic levels.

I really suggest thoroughly reading through the UB1 manual and digesting every section, it's quite easy to screw it up and waste quite a bit of money.

Oh and my drivers also needed a 5V enable line (or more precisely I should say are current limited and expected a 5V enable line, but can be used with 24V if you add resistance). I used the output of the safety circuit (OSSD) to enable the drivers, but that also requires you to have a safety circuit override button incase you need to move anything to resolve a fault condition. Look at my build log, I've been discussing the enable line and the resistors required in the most recent couple of pages.

The drive manual will tell you what the Fault output requires or can handle, often they will say something like "Can sink or source 20Ma @ 24vdc".

If you have 24Vdc then that's what I'd use as it's more stable than 5V and protect the drive/controller with a resistor. 1K resistor should do it.

Thread Information