. .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    I'm not sure I follow what your saying pal... I understand removing the vertical from the centre and putting a cross base in as the sides. Are you saying not to use the 9 cross members on the top now? If so what would be the best way to mount the extrusion
    Ok well seeing your other post about already ordering stuff and the fact I can't be arsed to explain then just crack on. . .Lol

The controller you want for servos is the IP-S because of it's much faster frequency that high count encoders require to get the best from servos.

BUT just for clarity then the latest IP-M Beta Firmware now does slaved motors, all be it in a cut down way to the IP-S. (I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for how well but I will and report)
    The way the IP-S handles slaved motors is different to typical way slaved motors are done with other controllers in that when it hits the switches it's got an option to measure the difference between each switch contact then applie an offset movement to one motor to square the gantry. That said with servo's you'd home using the encoder index which is much more accurate than switches but it works well for steppers without encoders.
    Other controllers like the ESS require you to manually adjust the switches to square the gantry.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok well seeing your other post about already ordering stuff and the fact I can't be arsed to explain then just crack on. . .Lol

The controller you want for servos is the IP-S because of it's much faster frequency that high count encoders require to get the best from servos.

BUT just for clarity then the latest IP-M Beta Firmware now does slaved motors, all be it in a cut down way to the IP-S. (I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for how well but I will and report)
    The way the IP-S handles slaved motors is different to typical way slaved motors are done with other controllers in that when it hits the switches it's got an option to measure the difference between each switch contact then applie an offset movement to one motor to square the gantry. That said with servo's you'd home using the encoder index which is much more accurate than switches but it works well for steppers without encoders.
    Other controllers like the ESS require you to manually adjust the switches to square the gantry.!
    i like the sound of that! Do they require much setting up and wiring like steppers do? If you like I can get them, you can do your review and then send them back all wired up ready to go haha
    Last edited by D-man; 24-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-man View Post
    i like the sound of that! Do they require much setting up and wiring like steppers do? If you like I can get them, you can do your review and then send them back all wired up ready to go haha
    If your talking about servo's then yes and no. Yes there's still signal wires from drives to controller but from drives to servos then you'll buy cables ready made up.
    To be honest derek if your not familiar with servos and PID tuning which can be tricky at times then you will be better sticking with steppers as they are simple easy and just has accurate if sized and run within there parameters.
    Yes modern servos and software are making it easier to tune them but compared to steppers there is still much more to them and more to wrong.!!

And No before you ask.!! . . . Lol . . . Far far too busy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Good to hear that the IP-M will support slaved motors soon. If that had been the case 12 months ago then i'd have jumped on it rather than the PMDX/ESS combo.

For reference though, the last few plugin versions for the ESS (ESSv10r2d1d being the latest) support misaligned home switches. You can now apply an offset in the 'advanced homing config' dialog rather than having to physically adjust the switches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmoothStepperHomingDialog.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	13911

BUT just for clarity then the latest IP-M Beta Firmware now does slaved motors, all be it in a cut down way to the IP-S. (I haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for how well but I will and report
    Now that's great news.

Well, I've managed to get a good start on the machine over the past couple days. This thing is solid!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141127_150721.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	13937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141128_111703.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	13939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141127_180344.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	13938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141125_151912.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	13936

What a beauty. My heart warms looking at big steel structures

Thanks, I have the same warm heart feeling haha gets warmer when I try and move it. Haha

Decided to go with Adtech servos and drives. With the edingcnc board.

Looking great - very purposeful, workshop looks soooo tidy, but I guess it is your works unit and not your garage.
    Well done.G.

Cheers G,

TIDY... you should see behind the camera haha

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information