Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Hi all refurbishing a very old Halifax 10" lathe that has not run for many years. There is a bearing on the L.h end of the main spindle its looks like taper roller bearing hoping you can see pickture bellow in its the 5th item from left . I does not want to slide off, Should it? or will I need puller? I have tried to leaver with two screwdrivers but don't want to damage it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halifax lathe.jpg 
Views:	985 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	13954  

  2. #2
    I don't know if you've used a bearing puller before, but if not you need to apply force to the inner ring only, the one that's on the shaft. If you apply pressure to the outer ring you will damage the bearing.
    Sometimes you can make a steel wedge, with a slot in to take the shaft, and drive it in behind the bearing, you may need a packing washer that contacts the inner race only.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 02-12-2014 at 11:11 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  3. #3
    I have one those, its the uk version of the Atlas if memory serves. Stronger/wider castings but full of plastic parts.

    There should be a roller bearing on each end. They will slide of but are press fitted to resist centrifugal force so take some getting off, you will need a puller or carefully beat the crap out of it with brass drifts. (not ideal)

    If you don't need to take them off then I would leave them alone. I had to on mine because the main gear was damaged.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    I have one those, its the uk version of the Atlas if memory serves. Stronger/wider castings but full of plastic parts.

    There should be a roller bearing on each end. They will slide of but are press fitted to resist centrifugal force so take some getting off, you will need a puller or carefully beat the crap out of it with brass drifts. (not ideal)

    If you don't need to take them off then I would leave them alone. I had to on mine because the main gear was damaged.
    Couple reasons to take them off main is to wash dirt out of bearings and the second is the thread on left off spindle where the collar 9.32 screws on is stripped (only about the first 8mm) so when down to bare shaft thinking possible re threading with slightly smaller thread then making a new collar unless any one can offer another idea! its one of them situations where I could do with a lathe to repair this lathe. Am I correct in thinking this collar is for adjusting the pre-load on the bearings?
    If I do manage to remove the bearings do they go up to a shoulder when refitting?

  5. #5
    You can clean the bearings by just separating the outer from the inner as they are tapper bearings. has yours got the removable caps over the bearings?

    Yes the thread is there to preload the bearings, how much thread is left? Not sure how easy it will be to rethread as I think it will be hardened. Is there not enough thread to cover the lock nut?

    I did mine a while ago but don't think there are any collars. there is the main shoulder at the nose end but then the bearing inner races are compressed to preload the bearings.

    I have to go to the workshop tomorrow to check a few bits for the mill so I will have a look at the spare spindle to see what its like.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    You can clean the bearings by just separating the outer from the inner as they are tapper bearings. has yours got the removable caps over the bearings?

    Yes the thread is there to preload the bearings, how much thread is left? Not sure how easy it will be to rethread as I think it will be hardened. Is there not enough thread to cover the lock nut?

    I did mine a while ago but don't think there are any collars. there is the main shoulder at the nose end but then the bearing inner races are compressed to preload the bearings.

    I have to go to the workshop tomorrow to check a few bits for the mill so I will have a look at the spare spindle to see what its like.

    Thanks Ross. Appreciated.
    There is hardly any thread visable when all gears are in position. Anouther idea I had was to recess (counter bore) the small gear so I can pick up on threads hidden by gear but could/would weaken the gear somewhat. Anouther spindle at right price is better option.
    Last edited by i lunn; 03-12-2014 at 02:37 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by i lunn View Post
    Thanks Ross. Appreciated.
    There is hardly any thread visable when all gears are in position. Anouther idea I had was to recess (counter bore) the small gear so I can pick up on threads hidden by gear but could/would weaken the gear somewhat. Anouther spindle at right price is better option.
    Ok the rear bearing slides on the shaft to allow for adjustment so there is no shoulder. You have to align the bearings with the caps on the housing.

    If you didnt want the power feed or threading option then you could just leave out the drive gear.

    You might be able to rethread it but thought it was worth mentioning about the hardening. Yeah a replacement would probably be best :0)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Ok the rear bearing slides on the shaft to allow for adjustment so there is no shoulder. You have to align the bearings with the caps on the housing.

    If you didnt want the power feed or threading option then you could just leave out the drive gear.

    You might be able to rethread it but thought it was worth mentioning about the hardening. Yeah a replacement would probably be best :0)
    Thanks Ross Tried puller on rear bearing but its solid puller wont touch it so washed it out best I can. Good point about drive gear as at the moment the fwd/rev selector for feed is broke so until I source some parts for that there is no desperate rush for spindle. Do you know if the thread a LH or RH?

  9. #9
    I think it was left hand to resist loosening during rotation, you should be able to chase the direction of the thread that is visible.

    Mines a mix of atlas and halifax. Robbed all the best bits to make one lathe, most bits are interchangeable, except the spindle shafts.

    If you get an atlas shaft then you will need the complete set up, pullies,bearings and oil seals as well. If you can stay awake have a look at my atlas 10 repair thread, page 4 for the spindles.

    Pm me, might have a few bits you need.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross77 For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    I think it was left hand to resist loosening during rotation, you should be able to chase the direction of the thread that is visible.

    Mines a mix of atlas and halifax. Robbed all the best bits to make one lathe, most bits are interchangeable, except the spindle shafts.

    If you get an atlas shaft then you will need the complete set up, pullies,bearings and oil seals as well. If you can stay awake have a look at my atlas 10 repair thread, page 4 for the spindles.

    Pm me, might have a few bits you need.
    Will do I will get some of the broken parts together and pm link to photo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NEW MEMBER: Hello from Halifax !!
    By malzyk in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
  2. WANTED: 5" / 125mm Lathe chuck
    By Jonathan in forum Items Wanted
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-02-2012, 01:22 AM
  3. FOR SALE: Southbend 13" lathe
    By Swarfing in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-11-2011, 10:54 AM
  4. Repairing Atlas 10" lathe
    By Ross77 in forum Lathes, Lathe Rebuilding & Conversions
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 18-07-2010, 02:10 AM
  5. FOR SALE: My old Southbend 415 9" lathe is now on ebay
    By BillTodd in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 09:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •