. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok got to be careful here don't want to sound 2 faced after the ranting but I agree with Mitchejc that the base needs to be strong and sound just like any well engineered structure the foundations are important.

Now this doesn't mean going bonkers but I'm afraid it does mean much more than you have drawn there. I'm not getting into the Steel/aluminium is better than wood argument because you clearly have your sights set on using wood so go for it.! . . But I'm afraid you'll need much more structrue than what you have there.!

The other things I see are classic under estimations of forces acting on parts of a CNC machine. Like the gantry sides are too flimsy for there height and when in use they will flex and resonate when short fast back n forth moves are happening while cutting. Just try shaking 20Kg back n forth really really fast to see how it feels and the effect it has on your arms.?

Single or twin screws depends on what your cutting but your border line on the width for using 2 screws. If your planning on cutting harder material with any intent of decent depths then you'll want twin screws.
    If you stick with single then make the lower spanning brace much wider to help combat racking.

Z axis design is bad news and will be a proper bitch to setup. Why re-invent the wheel just use the proven concept of rails on front plate bearings on rear it works perfectly and is easy.
    Y axis screw is way too high for my liking and you want to try getting it lower if possible.

Other things with design to think about is how your going to build it and allow for adjustment etc for setting up.! I don't see much.?
    Also don't forget cable runs etc.

Hi Jazzcnc, thanks for the feedback.... I hadn't done much calculations of the side supports, so I've now gone back and tried to calculate some forces and deflections. The absolute values are perhaps hard to quantify but the level of improvement is at least relative.

Initial layout I applied a 500N lateral load to one side, ignoring the opposite side for sake of easy calculations. Load just applied to the top fixing hole of the Section8.
    The analysis show stress concentrations as such.

Adding some ribs and thickening the bottom plate that holds the carriages, also added the Section 8 to better simulate the load area.

Stress plot looks much better etc.

I hadn't correctly put the weight of the spindle and stepper motors in, so even with the extra material thickness I'm at 66Kg. Hopefully keeps with one X axis ballscrew.

The base, though not detailed is intended to be anchored to a side wall of my garage that it will stand next to. So it won't go for a walk and will further supported. That said I can always beef it up after testing etc.

For spindle is this the sort of item recommended?
    http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Spindle/Spi...VFD-plus-Mount
    Is it worth it for a DIY machine?
    If so I'll need to look at the Z axis anyway so will have another go at that. I was wanting to keep the offset from the Y axis down. Many designs seem to have a large distance, increasing the moment and forces from the cutter. I was looking reduce the offset.
    I'll have another think.... and revisit the layout.

What sort of DOC is normal from Gantry type machines? Tying to get a feel for the forces to expect.

I can see the costs running away a bit on this project
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carriage_end_Org.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	14290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Revisedends.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	14291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carriage_end_05.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	14292  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information