. .
  1. Hi, sorry I am new to the cnc world and have just built my first cnc from kit form. I have calibrated the machine but there is still a couple of issues I have with it.

1. The Z axis will not go upwards if the UCCNC cutting program is running any higher than 20% of normal speed, so the cutter just keeps digging in further and further.

2. For some reason the machine will cut a completely different path on the first stepdown to the second and third stepdown resulting in odd cutting patterns, see image below. Running the program in demo mode seems fine but for some reason when its talking to the machine something goes wrong.

Any help on these matters would be gratefully appreciated, thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141210_180143.jpg 
Views:	2242 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	14037  

Post some shots of the settings in UC and give some info on machine setup, Ie drives, Micro stepping, voltage screw pitch etc.

Check all wire connections to the drives etc as it's not uncommon for poor connections to cause irratic movements like this.
    Also check any mechanical connections like stepper/screw couplers etc.

The differant paths can only be the same paths just that you have probably lost positon thru missed steps etc so machines lost and wandering around.

Last edited by EddyCurrent; 11-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

4. Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Thats it. Although I believe half the problem is that the wrong plates where sent out so there is 4mm play along the Y axis. I am now being sent replacement plates.

I will also double check all the wiring, thanks.

5. Here is the setup of the Z axis. Is there anyway I can slow just the Z axis down so it only runs at 20% and the rest to run at 100%? Sorry I dont know much about the settings to change them at the moment.

Here is a pic of the machine before I wired it up if it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1608 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	14046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141113_221804.jpg 
Views:	1377 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	14048  

In the photo you showed in your first post, what material are you cutting and what cutter did you use ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

7. Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    In the photo you showed in your first post, what material are you cutting and what cutter did you use ?
    5.5mm ply and using a 3mm end mill.

Quote Originally Posted by RusticRusty View Post
    Thats it. Although I believe half the problem is that the wrong plates where sent out so there is 4mm play along the Y axis. I am now being sent replacement plates.

I will also double check all the wiring, thanks.
    Get the new plates installed and then try again. Until you've got rid of that 4mm play I think you're going to struggle to solve this problem.

Ye completely pointless doing any thing else until any and all play is removed. 4mm is Massive.!!

Regards the speeds then you have few options either change the Velocity setting to something you like for that axis or better still set the Axis Jog speed to lower % of total velocity.
    Problem with setting Velocity low is that with combined moves so say, G1 x20 y45 z20 f2000 if your Velocity for Z axis is below the commanded 2000 then all axis will travel at the velocity set for Z axis.
    Setting a Jog rate is easier and doesn't affect cutting only moving the machine around while using jogging keys or pendant etc.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 12-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Location unknown. Jon. Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    I started with an ox. Can i just ask, why are your y motors on the inside of the gantries?

Thread Information