. .
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    The day has come and I have finally started my 3-axis Gantry router build. I've been lurking on the forum for too long now and its time to do this. Firstly thanks to all the forum members who have contributed to the design - Jazz, John & HiltonSteve who inspired me with his build all those years ago. Attached are some 3d renderings and pics of stuff. Currently doing lots of drilling holes and counterboring in ali strip and plate for the bolts etc.
    Basic machine specs are:

3-axis 1100 x 700 x 300 ballscrews.
    SBR20 on X SBR16 on Y & 7
    Frame from 80x40mm heavy and intermediate extrusions (2.8 and 4kg/m)
    Plate - Gantry sides 20mm cast plate 5083
    Z axis - Tooling plate cast 5083
    Frame Ends 15mm plate 6060

3.1Nm Steppers CNC Kit 1 from Zapp

Photos taken in a unit my neighbour has - did'nt trust the runout on my pillar drill with M8 clearance drill.

Watch this space for more pics as build progresses

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mikecampbell_8.jpg 
Views:	5784 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	14043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0143.jpg 
Views:	5603 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	14044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	5351 
Size:	361.1 KB 
ID:	14045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mikecampbell_7c3.jpg 
Views:	5357 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	14047  

looks like you have it all worked out, and plenty of space & a kettle!!. Keep the pictures coming..

Should be a nice little build that. Looking forward to seeing it come together, keep us posted.

Nice little wood cutting machine. Don't forget the energy chains. You might just fit one under the X rail on a shelf bolted to the extrusion.
    With the single ballscrew on X try to cut jobs on the centre line of the machine to reduce racking.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Nice little wood cutting machine. Don't forget the energy chains. You might just fit one under the X rail on a shelf bolted to the extrusion.
    With the single ballscrew on X try to cut jobs on the centre line of the machine to reduce racking.
    Nah there will be no problem cutting off centre in wood with this design at this size. I've built several know using almost identical design (probably because mikey copied most of my router design. . Lol) and they don't flex while cutting woods, even hard woods.

That said I wouldn't use single screw for cutting aluminium or really deep DOC cuts in hardwoods as then there is potential for some racking.

There is just enough room for energy chains between profiles but needs certain size. It also doesn't need a shelf as nearly half the chain can be supported or bolted to the profile and the remainder easily handles the weight of cables etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Nah there will be no problem cutting off centre in wood with this design at this size. I've built several know using almost identical design (probably because mikey copied most of my router design. . Lol) and they don't flex while cutting woods, even hard woods. .
    Hi Jazz - I merely took the good advice that you offered !!!

Once the machine is up and running (and doing some useful work) I will upgrade to twin belt-driven ball screws.

I admit that the energy chains location is a bit of an afterthought....

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Hi Jazz - I merely took the good advice that you offered !!!
    So you saying you haven't copied anything from the L shape profile gantry Gantry or the offset drop Z axis Layout or the profile base with aluminium end plates I use.?. . . . .Ok.!!!!

If thats the case then sure you must have accounted for the gotcha's that I see and encountered.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    So you saying you haven't copied anything from the L shape profile gantry Gantry or the offset drop Z axis Layout or the profile base with aluminium end plates I use.?. . . . .Ok.!!!!

If thats the case then sure you must have accounted for the gotcha's that I see and encountered.!!
    Hi Jazz

I have to ashamedly say "yes" but good design and good principles are always worth following!

regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Hi Jazz

I have to ashamedly say "yes" but good design and good principles are always worth following!

regards
    Mike
    No problem and it's fine by me. If didn't like it copied I wouldn't let it out in the public domain.

Hi Guys
    Sorry to be so tardy with postings and updates but I have been working on this. One of the things you discover when building a CNC from extrustions is the amount of drilling and thread tapping you have to do! Thanks to my neighbour who is a retired tool maker, he advised that I use spiral taps and these are brilliant when used in an electric drill! My top tip of the day! Attached are some photos of progress. You can see how the L-shaped Y axis inspired by Jazz was done. I have recently completed the drilling of the "thickner plates" which are used to mount the round supported rails because the material in the extrusions is too thin to directly mount the rails. Also I now need to clear out my garage so that I have space to assemble and check the machine!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0191.jpg 
Views:	4599 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	14541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0192.jpg 
Views:	4517 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	14542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0193.jpg 
Views:	4609 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	14543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0201.jpg 
Views:	4540 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	14544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0203.jpg 
Views:	4553 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	14545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0204.jpg 
Views:	4526 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	14546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0207.jpg 
Views:	4553 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	14547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0210_BURST002_COVER.jpg 
Views:	4576 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	14548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0213.jpg 
Views:	4711 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	14549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0217.jpg 
Views:	4529 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	14550  

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information