. .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hi Guys
    Making somewhat slow progress on this but the attached pics show the gantry trial assembled. Runs really nicely on the supported round rails and I detect no binding anywhere! However I have invested in a pack of steel shim material because I expect that stuff will need it to get everything square and nice! The biggest step now is to get the plate holding the z-axis stepper manufactured. Hoping that the local FE college will help here as I don't have a milling machine

Also does anybody have or make some clamps for the 80mm water cooled spindle? I thought Jonathan was making these at some stage but can't raise him via the forum?

Any tips on what lubricant to use on the supported round rails? I will be using Mobilux EP2 for the ball screws (via the ball nut)

Regards
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0287.jpg 
Views:	2271 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	15698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0285.jpg 
Views:	2195 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	15699  

Looking good Mike!! I've used a 50mm round linear rail bearing housing (bought it from Zapp) which can be picked out quite cheaply on ebay. Jyst take out the circling holding the bearing in and press put the bearing, cut through one side and when you tighten it down it clamps the spindle....

Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Looking good Mike!! I've used a 50mm round linear rail bearing housing (bought it from Zapp) which can be picked out quite cheaply on ebay. Jyst take out the circling holding the bearing in and press put the bearing, cut through one side and when you tighten it down it clamps the spindle....

Thanks nj for the tip. Trying to keep the gantry weight down as it will approach 30kg when fully loaded with spindle z-axis and rails.

You could always cut a couple of slivers off it at either end to keep the bolt holes??

If I had my router finished (nearly!!!!!!!) Then I'd cut you some but as it is you might be waiting a few weeks yet.....

I've got a Nema 23 driving my Z axis up and down and ive got a 40mm plate dangling out front, Nema 23 on the Y axis and they're set at 10m/min rapids at the moment and they handle it fine....mind you I've a 8Nm Nema 34 on the X axis
    Last edited by njhussey; 14-07-2015 at 03:40 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Also I managed to get my garage cleared ( well sort of!) To continue the build. The mc will weigh around 100kg when completed so I needed a hefty table. Thanks to my neighbour Martin who custom welded a table for me!

looking good.. keep the pictures coming... both of the machine.. and the tidy workshop :D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kingcreaky For This Useful Post:

Congratulations on nearing the end of your build and setup. I'm hoping to get the machine moving under computer control by September and fine tuned and ready for real work by the end of the year...

Some more pictures of the build. I've been ill since September 2015 and thus made no progress until March 2016. But the Z axis is in place and moves nicely in the Y axis!

BTW does anybody know if SBRUU linear bearings have to be lubricated? and if so, with what type of lubricant and how frequently?

Thanks Everyone for the help and inspiration so far!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0342.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	18389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0345.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	18390  

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Some more pictures of the build. I've been ill since September 2015 and thus made no progress until March 2016. But the Z axis is in place and moves nicely in the Y axis!
    Glad to hear you are getting back to good health and able to start back on the machine again.

Its looking good and seems to be nearly there have you started on the electronic etc?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    BTW does anybody know if SBRUU linear bearings have to be lubricated? and if so, with what type of lubricant and how frequently?

Thanks Everyone for the help and inspiration so far!

Mike
    Mike, Yes they do. Should have some grease nipples...(hehe) on the side. I like to use moly bearing grease for high load applications, this is commonly known as CVjoint grease too. Do not go crazy though so you can at least make an attempt to keep the rails clean of dust/grease gunk. Frequency depends on use, gut feel indication would be 1/month for occasional use, 1/week for heavy use.

R's
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information