. .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Thanks Neil. Ideally I would like to get the proximity homing switches working so that I can get tool changes consistent and touch plates. These items improve productivity.

Cheers - Mike
    That's the best thing I've done on my machine, makes life so much easier and jobs quicker! What BOB/controller you using?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    That's the best thing I've done on my machine, makes life so much easier and jobs quicker! What BOB/controller you using?

I am using the Zapp BoB ZP5A-INT and the NPN proximity switches as suggested by Jazz some time ago. I posted this a couple of months ago, but could'nt get it working. I have a separate 24v PS for the relay safety system which I also wanted to use to power the prox switches. But if you or Jazz can give me some inspired thoughts I would be grateful

Regards
    Mike

Thanks Jazz I'll try that first before getting the EMI filter

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Hi Jazz, manage to get rid of the noise by doing everything you said and using an IEC EMI filter socket for the mains input to the control box, as well as using a ferrite coil around the RS423 Modbus serial connection between the Mach3 PC and the VFD. Now it runs reliably. Got all the bits for my dust filter and about to cut the dust shoe from 10mm perspex. Will post the design and pics soon.

Cheers.
    Mike

Dust extraction should be a priority especially if you intend to machine MDF. It uses urea-formaldehyde as a bonding agent and the formaldehyde is a proved carcinogen besides other harmful effects.

Just watched your video and it doesn't look good to me with all that fine dust.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paulus.v For This Useful Post:

I did'nt realise how much dust would be created, so the next job will be the creation of a dustboot for the spindle and a cyclone filter system. I initially used my trusty Aldi ash can filter, but it soon got clogged up with the fine MDF dust. It will work better behind a cyclone system.
    The cyclone cones you get off eBay are good, just hooked one up to my machine and works brilliantly, I'd highly recommend one Mike.

What you see in the bottom of the CamVac (virtually nothing) is after machining plastic for an hour and hoovering wood dust up off the floor.

Neil...

Build log...here

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    Dust extraction should be a priority especially if you intend to machine MDF. It uses urea-formaldehyde as a bonding agent and the formaldehyde is a proved carcinogen besides other harmful effects.

Just watched your video and it doesn't look good to me with all that fine dust.
    Hi Paulus & Neil

Great minds do think alike and you are both perfectly correct. Since the video I have'nt done anymore cutting because I realised with the amount dust created just by surfacing, I needed a filtration system. So I ordered a cyclone off Amazon for an amazing price and lots of hose as shown below. I have an old VAX (2000 watts before the EU restrictions!!!) which should do the trick. Also making a dust hood for the spindle based on a design I found on Bjorn Makes YouTube Channel here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyclone_Dust_filter_on_30l_drum.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	20537

Hi Guys
    Following on from the last post, I built my cyclone dust collector, and promptly crushed the barrel, when I put my hand over the end of pipe to check the suction!. Using a hot-air gun, I manged to un-collapse it and restore it's shape. Hunting around on the web, I found a design for a pressure relief value (here) and this design here using a 40mm PVC straight coupler and a neodymium magnet and it works brilliantly!
    see pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170322_231237_half_size.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	21321

Also, I have started some test cuts for the dust hood (see previous thread for youtube link!) and really pleased with the accuracy of the machine. The inner ring is 70mm dia +- 0.01mm!!
    There are a couple of toolpath issues to sort out, but the code from Estlcam worked first time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170322_230929_001_half_size.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	21322

I post a video on Youtube later.

Now just have to get the proximity switches working and we are fully done and ready to make chips!

Regards
    Mike
    Last edited by MikeyC38; 29-03-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Hi Guys

Sorted out the problem with the toolpath by upgrading to Estlcam v10 and defining the operations in a different order.
    The photo attached shows the final dusthood cut from 10mm perspex sheet using a single flute carbide cutter running at 12,000 rpm, 600 - 900mm/min feed and doc of 1-2mm. Took around 1hr for the all operations. The link to Youtube shows the last operations. I'm pleased with the finish of the pocketing. Now to get on with doing some real projects!

Kind Regards
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170402_231417_rotated_halfsize.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	21385  

Nice cut! It looks very similar with my first dust shoe. But now, mine have diameters of 15 to 25 cm calculated for different tools dia so that the hair will not be cut by the tool at any depth. And also dependant of the hair length/ depth of cut.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to paulus.v For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    Nice cut! It looks very similar with my first dust shoe. But now, mine have diameters of 15 to 25 cm calculated for different tools dia so that the hair will not be cut by the tool at any depth. And also dependant of the hair length/ depth of cut.
    Thanks Paulus - here is a picture of it fitted. My first CNC project on this machine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_085205_001_halfsize_rotated.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	21416  

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information