. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Well after reading through most off the build logs I thought I would give it ago,I have to say that not really knowing a lot about electronics and stepper motors I get confused easy.
    My goal is to make a simple strong build which will be able to cut hard woods and aluminium at a reasonable speeds, I only have room in my workshop for a machine off 900mmx800mm I have done three design off the base A,B,C which I will upload, my abilities on sketchup are also pretty limited so I hope you can make them out ok.I have done the design using 60mmx60mmx4mm box which I would have to buy but I do have 50mmx50mmx4mm box in stock and if I could use it it would save me a few pounds. I can weld ok and hope to weld most off the build and limit the amount off holes to be drilled.I haven't designed a gantry yet as I wanted to get the base right first.My build budget is Around £1500 mark.
    All help will be gratefully accepted
    Cheers
    Design A

Design B

Design C

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc base80x60scrypt.jpg 
Views:	1352 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	14056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc base80x60-1scrypt.jpg 
Views:	1469 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	14057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc base80x60--2scrypt.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	14058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc baserailsextrascrypt.jpg 
Views:	1407 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	14059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc baserailsextra1scrypt.jpg 
Views:	1363 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	14060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc baserails.jpg3scrypt.jpg 
Views:	1316 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	14061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc baserails.jpg3.jpg4scrypt.jpg 
Views:	1331 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	14062  

Hi Gregor,

Looks nice and sturdy and there's no reason why you can't use 50x50x40 but I would say if you haven't already bought the linear rails then don't buy round rails.
    Profiled linear rails have really come down in price in the last year or so and it's not worth buying the round type IMO. They simply don't compare in performance and accuracy.

Get the rest of machine designed then well take another look. Don't forget to think about cables runs and Home/limit switch mounting etc.

Thanks for the advice JAZZ ,I think I will get 60x60 box for the side rails and use 50x50 for the cross sections and end rail.I plan on just using angle for the cable tray and also it will give some protection to the ballscrew I have put it in the drawings.I plan to make the gantry out off the 50x50 box as I don't mind welding do you think this would be ok? or a waste off time doing.I haven't ordered any rails yet
    Cheers

Name:	cnc base5siderails.cable angle.jpg 
Views:	962 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	14063  

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    . . .but I would say if you haven't already bought the linear rails then don't buy round rails.
    Profiled linear rails have really come down in price in the last year or so and it's not worth buying the round type IMO. They simply don't compare in performance and accuracy.
    I've just used some 20mm supported rail for a non cnc job, it was the first time I'd used them and it will be the last, as Jazz says, use Hiwin type rails every time, use 20mm all round.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Hi EddyCurrent
    I haven't ordered anything yet still messing about on sketchup lol.But I will take you and Jazzcnc advise and get the Hiwin type.Heres my first Attempt at a gantry It took me five hours to do this on sketchup I don't know what I was doing but I kept deleting parts off the sketch.

Name:	gantry4pic.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	14064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gantry5pic.jpg 
Views:	971 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	14065  

just another +1 on the hiwin rails ...

for the price difference it IS money well worth it !

for the gantry , dont have the gantry side like an upside down T as it offsets the spindle too much and the spindle will go quite a bit over the tables surface. using a L shape might be better and reduce the amount you go off the table (unless you want to ofcourse)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
    for the gantry , dont have the gantry side like an upside down T as it offsets the spindle too much and the spindle will go quite a bit over the tables surface. using a L shape might be better and reduce the amount you go off the table (unless you want to ofcourse)
    Yes, the spindle should be inside the footprint of the 4 gantry bearings, this is the key diagram; http://www.cncroutersource.com/do-it...NC-router.html
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice would this be a better design.

Name:	gantrybeems2.jpg 
Views:	899 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	14071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gantrybeems1.jpg 
Views:	893 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	14070  

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Gregor
    That setup would ensure you get the Z axis very close to the gantry and the motor should be positioned as near to the centre of the X bearings as possible.
    Only problem i envisage is the alignment of the gantry rails, do have a solution to this ?
    Regards
    Mike

Yes, that's a better design.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Only problem i envisage is the alignment of the gantry rails, do have a solution to this ?
    Regards
    Mike
    You are right, maybe one rail could be welded and the other bolted to allow adjustment ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 15-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information